• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Wheel Hub Assemblies - Crappy???

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
So...last time I checked my wheel hub assembly on the driver's side, I noticed some play in it, so I took it back to advance auto and got a new one from bumper to bumper. I started pounding the lug bolts in but after getting the first couple set, I noticed that the hub had wiggle in it. I thought the bearings were supposed to be tight?!?! I took that back and I tried hub assemblies from advance again, 2 different ones from o'reilly's, and 1 from carquest. I ran out of options so I installed the hub assembly with the wiggle in it and tightened the front drive shaft nut, and the wiggle was gone.

My question, though, is shouldn't the hub assembly stay solid through-out installation. I mean, I'm talking about a 1/32" play in the bearing after the first 2-4 lug bolts were installed (from hard beating of a sledge on the bolts - the only way I know how to install bolts)

If I just, somehow, had the opportunity to fall upon 6 bad hub assemblies....is there a place where I can get a non-crappy hub assembly?

Dont worry if there's some play before the CV shaft is bolted down.
The hub assembly's halves are just pressed together(beating on them tends to seperate them),the CV joint nut is there to clamp and keep the assembly to the proper preload.

FWIW, wheel studs are supposed to be installed with a press. I wouldn't doubt that your bearing life is reduced due to beating on them with a hammer.

New bearings don't come with new studs? All the bearings I've ever installed have had new studs. What brand are they?

I just had to order BOTH for my 05 with only 61k on it. I can understand one going bad but both at the same time kinda screams out defect to me. They arent making any noise, I just checked them a month ago when I did the brakes and there wasnt any slop in them. I started to notice the front end having a loose feeling and a little rattly over the railroad tracks, put it up in the air yesterday and they are both very sloppy, seems like they went bad really fast.

That's generally what happens, they just go. It's just the design. I wish they would go back to serviceable bearings. Stupid unit-bearings...

I hate servicable bearings...I am on the original bearings on my truck and I am about to hit the 300k miles mark. I never really had a issue with them at all...

According to the people in the parts and repair business that I have I talked, to the new design lasts longer, couldnt prove it by me though.

I'd take the serviceable bearings over the sealed ones any day. more work for upkeep but less headaches to deal with. you don't need to replaces the whole assembly for a bearing change. or pound/press them in/out. one nut and cotter pin and your done. well till you get to take if off. the old ones are heavy:eek:

Back