• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Wheel bearings

cajun4x42006

Reaction score
I got 2006 5er towed mostly local or within 2hrs and 3 8 hr trips to Talladega Al. when should I start worrying about changing wheel bearings or repacking.

Did my toy hauler this spring at about 43k, and was dismayed by how crappy they looked. I have greasable hubs and was anal about 3 shots before every trip and in mid trip if we went on a long trip, say to florida. Spring bushing were plastic and junk, seals were ok but getting hard, bearings ran rough. I'm sure everything was China brand, but the new stuff is all USA. Also upgraded to Equaflex greasable bushings.

IIRC Dexter says to reset the bearing tension every year. Their manual gives the procedure and you can also find it online. I try to inspect mine every year if I am using it a lot, never ran into grease problems but have found the bearing load a little light a couple of times especially at the first service.

I usually re-pack mine at least every 2 years. I'd rather re-pack them and know, rather sit on the side of the road with a siezed bearing.

Back