• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the issue with the 6.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieseldan723

Reaction score
My friend is determined to get a Furd! Main reason is that he can't find a GMC or Chevy diesel in his price range.

What are the BIG problems with the 6.0? I have heard a ton of bad things about them and that you should stick with the 7.3.

Any info would be helpful!

TIA

Headgasket is a big problem I am aware of. And even with ARP's it supposed to still be a really big issue. Though I KNOW that there are others, wait for me people to chime in.

If he is going to go with something other than a GM made diesel, at least go with a dodge. That Cummins will keep him at a manly status :D

i know diesel power is doing a article where they correct all the big 6.0 liter problems next month. i know its head gasket and the egr cooler is too small. so with ARP studs and EGR block off plate you should be fine unless you sledpull or dragrace and are making a ton of power. i know theres more problems but i cant think of them

So if he only plans to pull a 6,000lb trailer he should be good? He isn't looking to make big power or do anything special. He currently pulls the trailer with a F150 with a 5.4L engine.

Injectors on them are terrible. I've heard of turbos going out, the head gaskets. There are a lot more issues. Just tell him to get a 7.3 if he wants a Ford so bad.

My dad has an 05 6.0 and the only problem he has had was the turbo went out at about 12,000 miles. Ford replaced the turbo and he has not had any other problems. It currently has about 50,000 miles on it. A friend of mine bought the exact same truck with all the same options and has about 150,000 miles and its never been in the shop for anything. Both of them do a fair amount of towing.

I also have several customers with trouble free 6.0's. There are lots of horror stories though, have someone with dealer access run the VIN prior to purchase.

Friend of mine had so many problems with his 6.0 that he bought a Cummins...he was a die hard ford fan too. I think he had problems with the glow plugs and injectors, not sure what else. His dad also has a 6.0 with 55k miles...injecter problems already.

basically your taking a risk if your going with the 6.0 You can either be lucky like some have mentioned or your going to be owning more to repairs and maintnaence then you pay for the truck.

My fathers first diesel was a 98 F-350 with the 7.3 in it. Coolest truck he ever owned and he NEVER had a problem with it. Guess in a sense its a matter of your luck.

friend of mine went through 2 motors on his in under 52k miles. 1st motor blew at 4k because the turbo came apart and sent the intake vanes into the cylinders. 2nd motor injector blew and burned through a piston. 05 f350 never towed over 8k pounds and took it pretty easy on it

My brother has had his turbo replaced once and rebuilt another time. His EGR gave him troubles too. He has way less miles than I do and has had his ball joints replaced 3 times. My buddy has all fords for his business and they are always in the shop for something.

I love my 6.0, many many other folks love theirs as well. I chuckle every time I run across a thread like this where a bunch of folks with little or no experience with the 6.0 bad mouth it to death. I figure the more crap people talk, the cheaper I can buy my next one.

FIRST- Get an OASIS REPORT from Ford (equivalent to GM's VIN report). Do not buy a 6.0 without one. Look for recurring issues and major repairs on the report.

If you don't program it, and the OASIS doesn't show a history of head gasket issues, then it likely won't have any problems running stock TTY head bolts. I haven't had studs on either of my trucks and neither has had head gasket issues.

Fluids and filters are important to the 6.0, especially the oil. Fresh oil every 5,000 is a must, since the high pressure oil system (used to fire the injectors) shears oil rather quickly. USE NOTHING OTHER THAN MOTORCRAFT/INTERNATIONAL/RACOR FUEL FILTERS AND OIL FILTERS.

The injectors are not nearly as troublesome as the rumors suggest. If you keep the fuel pressure up (as noted below), change fuel filters every 10k, and change the oil every 5k, you will probably not have any more injector issues with a 6.0 than you would have with any other late model diesel.

A coolant filter should be installed immediately to prevent plugging of the oil cooler and the eventual rupture of the EGR cooler.

Fuel pressures need to stay above 45psi (measured in the underhood fuel bowl) to keep the injectors healthy. A healthy stock fuel pump will maintain fuel pressures between 49-53psi under all circumstances.

The Torqueshift trannys on these trucks are as stout as the blessed 4L80E, maybe even more. The trannys they used to have behind the 7.3s are the ones to watch out for.

The variable vein turbos can get sticky if they're not exercised on a regular basis. Not a problem for me, since exercising the turbo is part of the fun of owning a turbo diesel.

The most important parameters on the 6.0 are EGTs, fuel pressure, EOT, and ECT. Keep the fuel pressures over 45 psi at all times. Keep the cruising EGTs under 1250 (short spikes to 1500 won't hurt, but don't make a habit of it) and let them fall below 350 before you shut down. Make sure the oil temps are within 15 degrees of the coolant temps at cruising speeds. If they're not, you need to replace your oil cooler or risk blowing the EGR cooler.

And as far as comparisons to the 7.3 go, the 6.0 will run circles around the 7.3, but the 6.0 will not take abuse nearly as well. When properly taken care of and maintained, the 6.0 will work harder and last just as long as a 7.3.

Last edited:
I love my 6.0, many many other folks love theirs as well. I chuckle every time I run across a thread like this where a bunch of folks with little or no experience with the 6.0 bad mouth it to death. I figure the more crap people talk, the cheaper I can buy my next one.

FIRST- Get an OASIS REPORT from Ford (equivalent to GM's VIN report). Do not buy a 6.0 without one. Look for recurring issues and major repairs on the report.

If you don't program it, and the OASIS doesn't show a history of head gasket issues, then it likely won't have any problems running stock TTY head bolts. I haven't had studs on either of my trucks and neither has had head gasket issues.

Fluids and filters are important to the 6.0, especially the oil. Fresh oil every 5,000 is a must, since the high pressure oil system (used to fire the injectors) shears oil rather quickly. USE NOTHING OTHER THAN MOTORCRAFT/INTERNATIONAL/RACOR FUEL FILTERS AND OIL FILTERS.

The injectors are not nearly as troublesome as the rumors suggest. If you keep the fuel pressure up (as noted below), change fuel filters every 10k, and change the oil every 5k, you will probably not have any more injector issues with a 6.0 than you would have with any other late model diesel.

A coolant filter should be installed immediately to prevent plugging of the oil cooler and the eventual rupture of the EGR cooler.

Fuel pressures need to stay above 45psi (measured in the underhood fuel bowl) to keep the injectors healthy. A healthy stock fuel pump will maintain fuel pressures between 49-53psi under all circumstances.

The Torqueshift trannys on these trucks are as stout as the blessed 4L80E, maybe even more. The trannys they used to have behind the 7.3s are the ones to watch out for.

The variable vein turbos can get sticky if they're not exercised on a regular basis. Not a problem for me, since exercising the turbo is part of the fun of owning a turbo diesel.

The most important parameters on the 6.0 are EGTs, fuel pressure, EOT, and ECT. Keep the fuel pressures over 45 psi at all times. Keep the cruising EGTs under 1250 (short spikes to 1500 won't hurt, but don't make a habit of it) and let them fall below 350 before you shut down. Make sure the oil temps are within 15 degrees of the coolant temps at cruising speeds. If they're not, you need to replace your oil cooler or risk blowing the EGR cooler.

And as far as comparisons to the 7.3 go, the 6.0 will run circles around the 7.3, but the 6.0 will not take abuse nearly as well. When properly taken care of and maintained, the 6.0 will work harder and last just as long as a 7.3.

the more i read your post especially the part about it being cheaper the next time i bet your entirely right. i bet this is going to be the next 6.5 engine that no one will touch in 10 years because it had so many problems. well if you do your maintenance there will be no problems

Yeah.... Just talk to somebody who is friends with somebody that knows somebody who works on them.

Or better yet, talk to the mechanic for a fleet of 6.0s who has no formal training specifically related to the 6.0.

Or even still, talk to Ford service advisers or Ford service technicians that have to work under the constraints of Ford Motor Company, who is further constrained by the EPA, federal government, etc....

All that info will definitely set you straight.

Whatever, Micheal. Believe what you want to believe. Everybody is entitled to their opinions.

got ya,but my opinion is based on fact...will not go into details,unless you PM me-lets just agree to disagree...nothing personal-michael

all this stuff you guys are saying about the 6.0L PS I heard about the 6.5 TD. in any group there will be haters. Personally I don't care for the Duramax and would take a 6.0L ps over a Dmax any day.

:shocked:You wouldn't want a reliable diesel? I don't get it.:thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back