• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the difference if any from 93 OBD1 4l80 to a 98 OBD2 4L80 ?

Acesneights1

Reaction score
Junky has a 93 6.5 with tranny and tcm and db2 and wiring. Man that sure seems like enough parts to convert my burb to a DB2...Would it work with my tranny ? Even has the cruise control box....

91-93 used a 455HZ lock-up solonoid where as 94+ used a 800HZ solonoid. Stock 91-93 used a unique wiring harness, but most have been upgraded to the 94+ style by now. Also the valve bodies for the 91-93 were unique from the 94+ units due to the differrent lock-up solonoid frequency(the lower frequency solonoid required a cleaning cycle evy 5-10 seconds where the PCM would pulse it to clean it whereas the 94+ higher frequency units eliminated this cleaning cycle). 94 is a one year only unit with the new style electronics but no NSBU switch mounting bosses. 95-96 are the same as 94 except they added in a NSBU switch and mounting bosses for it. 97 switched over to what is known as teh rear luber where one of the cooler lines was relocated to the rear of the case and teh cooler lines was sized up to improve lubrication. Mid year 99 seen alot more changes to them internally mostly to improve the holding power(increased the width of the bands and changed input shafts). Later trannies can be made to work in earlier trucks with a trans cooler line adapter and valve body swap for the 91-93 units.

No idea what all that meant......guess the flying jenny hit the gaurdrail again! I am sticking with grounds, grounds, grounds, gotta check them grounds, its all about the grounds, I am very good at this.

91-93 used a 455HZ lock-up solonoid where as 94+ used a 800HZ solonoid. Stock 91-93 used a unique wiring harness, but most have been upgraded to the 94+ style by now. Also the valve bodies for the 91-93 were unique from the 94+ units due to the differrent lock-up solonoid frequency(the lower frequency solonoid required a cleaning cycle evy 5-10 seconds where the PCM would pulse it to clean it whereas the 94+ higher frequency units eliminated this cleaning cycle). 94 is a one year only unit with the new style electronics but no NSBU switch mounting bosses. 95-96 are the same as 94 except they added in a NSBU switch and mounting bosses for it. 97 switched over to what is known as teh rear luber where one of the cooler lines was relocated to the rear of the case and teh cooler lines was sized up to improve lubrication. Mid year 99 seen alot more changes to them internally mostly to improve the holding power(increased the width of the bands and changed input shafts). Later trannies can be made to work in earlier trucks with a trans cooler line adapter and valve body swap for the 91-93 units.

Ok so if I wanted to use the wiring, tcm. DB2 w/TPS off the 93 would that hook up to my 98 tranny or are you saying I need the VB out of the 93 as well ?

You would need to swap in the 93 valve body due to the differrent PWM lock-up control solonoid, or maybe find somebody to burn a chip for you with the correct solonoid PWM settings on it. This is why most people go with a 94-95 van set-up. Also keep in mind if this is a 4X4, the 91-93 units used another speed sensor in the tail housing of teh trans. In the 94+ units it's just a dummy plug, but in the 91-93 there is a reluctor wheel and pick-up there since the older ECM didn't have the ability to offset the gear ratio for 4 low. this is the same issue that peopel run into with the aftermarket TCM controllers. The reluctor wheel for the 4X4 units is pretty hard to come by to boot.

Get Bobbie Martin's DB2 conversion guide. I think it may be free now. It has the info on transmissions, ECM's etc.

There are a lot of minor updates the 1993 transmissions did not have that the 98's do. Did not affect the life of them much.

Buy the whole darn truck and take what you want. :hihi:

I wish I could but the junky won't sell. it. If you saw how clean it was and the jerk who owned it junked it. You don't junk clean 93's, you just don't It's the only good year they made them...:D

Back