• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the difference between a Bunk House and Travel Travel Trailer ?

IIRC it's just a floor plan difference Kenny...usually there is a small room type area in the rear of the trailer with bunk beds for the kids

Yup...good for kids, but not adults. Take your time and look over plans.
I look at it from the standpoint that if it rains, you're stuck in there...make sure you can be in there without feeling on top of each other.

Our 31 foot camper was our favorite. It was big enough to be comfortable but still small enough to manuver. It also had a good layout. No slides yet back then.
A hide-a -bed couch, 2 chairs, a table & fold down bed in front, Kitchen middle with a booth table that converted to a bed for shorties. bathroom in the middle and a queen sized bed in the back - with just enough room to walk around 2 sides.
We got a 26 footer later and didn't care much for it.
A winter package is a very nice feature, even in the summer. Our first camper had Spray foam insulation all around. Made it sturdier, weather proof, and quieter - except it still had the cheapo windows. It still heated and cooled much better than the 26'.
Does any manufacturer still spray foam their campers?

A bunkhouse will always have bunks in the front or rear of the RV. It is great for families that want some privacy from each other.

OK, so it doesn't mean it's more of a seasonal campsite camper. I want to get a bigger or atleast different camper than I have. OUr 26 ft Prowler is ok but we have a 175lb Great Dane and we can't take her with us because she simply doesn't fit. I was hell bent on a 5th wheel until my Dually broke down on the highway and my Mother (76 yrs old) had to come with my Father's Superduty(Dad is up there shaking his head, stupid kid a mine..)and rescue us. That made me think of how limiting a 5th wheel is. If I break down towing, I'm screwed. With a travel trailer I can tow it home with Dad's truck or even the CUCV if I absolulty had to so now I'm thinking 28-30ft'er but with a slide. I was against slides at first because of the added weight and thinking it looked like something that would break or leak but there are tons of them out there and it would make the camper much more roomier for the dog.

The reason I have a trailer and not a 5'er is because I need the back of my truck. I carry lots of things in there (work and camping stuff)...truck has a locking back window, so it's as secure as it can be.
My floorplan is in my sig...after 6 years I still love it. Tows like a dream in all kinds of weather...no white knuckle stuff at all.

Anything to look for when buying a camper with a slide ?

I believe many of the manufacturers use common parts...like the people that make frames, slides, etc. You'd be surprised at how many are made in Ohio.

What we did when we wanted to look at units was to go to a couple RV shows. You get lots to look at under one roof and it doesn't take long to start noticing quality differences. Then we headed out over a few weekends and hit the local RV shops. You'll know when you hit a plan you like...we did...it was like a lightbulb went off. Wifey gave me that look...

The hard part about a floorplan is when you want to include kids. You have to figure how much longer they will want to do it because as they get older they may have different interests...such as hanging with their buds instead of going with the parents. Pick your plan accordingly.
Our last go around my wife wanted bunks...I said no. One year later it was her and I...no kids with us anymore. And we have the plan that works for us two with the occasional tag along.

Oh...and a biggy...don't listen to a salesman about how much you can tow.
They are full of it bigtime. They will sell you the biggest, baddest trailer they can talk you into. Look at the numbers on your truck...if they say 10k - that's your number. Period.
I was with my bud a few weeks ago when he was looking. The salesman of forty years looked right at him and told him he could run at 75 all day with no problem. One thing he forgot...the trailer tires were ST (as most are)...they have a speed rating of 65 because of the stiffer sidewalls.

Our last go around my wife wanted bunks...I said no. One year later it was her and I...no kids with us anymore. And we have the plan that works for us two with the occasional tag along.

I told the wife the same thing when it comes to her grandkids, She then tells me we could take the bunks out and it could become our Computer room on the road.?? No, I want usable floorspace if I am pulling it down the road:thumbsup:

5ers are nice but I won't give up my pickup bed. I always have it packed full of bicycles, coolers, firewood, fishing gear, you name it.

Back