• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Whats so great about a skid steer?

Michaeljp86

EVIL GENIUS
Reaction score
I was wondering why everyone likes skid steer loaders so much? Ive ran a bobcat before and didnt much care for it. I can work a lot faster on a loader tractor. The only thing that was really better is you can see the bucket better if your working in the dirt, anything off the ground you can't see. The only reason I could see wanting one is because of all the attachments and it can get into a tight spot. Other then that I think a tractor is way better.

I would say that their advantage would be maneuverability. A skid steer can turn around on its own axis. I haven't seen many regular tractors that can do that very easily.

I have a 763 to move manure. I dont care for it, You get covered with dust, its bouncy, and its really hard to work on. I like my Deere tractor with the bucket better

When I was setting up a pad for one of my pole barns a buddy came by with his Case skid steer and with me on the loader tractor he got 3 or 4 loads of clay and rocks moved, spread and levelled to each load of mine. I'm pretty good with the tractor but THAT was kinda embarrassing. I'd like one but can't justify the cost. I wouldn't part with the loader no matter what.

Skid loaders are just plain quick. Easy to see your work. A wheel loader would be second quickest, but either will out work a conventional tractor with a loader.

They are like a rubber tire backhoe; pretty good at lots of things and very flexible, but not really good at many things. I think the choice of attachments and ease of transport behind a pickup are the big selling points.

It has its place in many things, but i am not a fan. with construction and anything with cows, i think it is a necessity.

I have driven NH and bobcat, I hate the bouncyness, and the touchiness of some of the controls, as well as the way it tears up grass, but they are not terrible.

Back