• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What would you suggest

Lazydog

Recruit
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a plow but to tell you the truth I have no idea what would be safe with my truck.

I have an '06 2500HD CCSB.

I was looking at Boss V Plow but when using their Plow Selection I get the following in the Notes section and cannot go any further;

"GM does not recommend putting a snowplow on this vehicle"

So the question is can I put a plow on this truck or not?
If I can what is suggested? I like the V-plow myself but what do I know. :D

"GM does not recommend putting a snowplow on this vehicle"

I believe that blizzaardplowman would beg to differ with that statement. :D

sigpic34_5.gif

V's are too heavy. i like Boss, a straight blade won't squat the front end very much at all.

I guess in a way it depends on what you will be doing with the plow.

My 02c, buy an old beater 1 ton pickup and put a plow on that. Save your newer truck the wear and tear of plowing.

GM does not recommend a plow due to the diesel package being so heavy already. I was able to talk my dealer into letting me put a plow on but I decided against it in the end.

Manufactures have a "minium" requirement for what plow fits, that said any plow listed, within reason will work on your rig. A Hiniker 8'6 v is a nice choice, the weight is just slightly more than a straight blade, or the Blizzard Speedwing is an option. A 8' steel plow weights in at 640# give or take , a 8'6 Hiniker poly v is 790, the speed wing is 810, the 8100 blizzard is 924, a boss 8'2 v is 770. Proper balast in the truck bed is a must, a 3-5 truns on the t-bars also works wonders. Its your truck, buy what you like and get out and plow.

http://www.blizzardplows.com/speedwing.asp
http://www.hiniker.com/snow_products/index.html

Depends on what you're planning on doing with the plow. Most cities/towns around here anyhow require a minimum 2500 w/8' plow.

I've never used a V, but have been nothing but happy with my straight blade. I can see the benefits of the V, specifically for the 'scoop' position to eliminate the wingrow cleeaning up large parking lots.

FOr strength, durablility and low cost, I dont' think you can beat a straigt blade.

If you just want it to fart around doing a few driveways and other tight quarters, you may be better off with a 7 1/2' plow for weight, but I wouldn't recommend anything less than 8'.

700lbs of sandbags in the back is a must too. It'll take the nose-diving bounces out of it, and give you much needed traction and weight.

Matt, you really need to try a V plow, or a Blizzard power plow. You'll never want to use a straight blade again. I owned a Fisher 7'6" then a Fisher 8'. so I was used to plowing, but after a few years behind this 810, I'll tell you there is no comparison. I broke a wing this year, first time out, so I've been plowing with essentially a 9 foot straight blade, with the use of the right wing only. It drives me absolutely crazy, I feel like I am so inneffective pushing the snow around like that. One thing I hate is pushing the same snow more than once, and the Blizzard prevents me (normally) from having to do that much. Watch the videos on their website and you'll see what I mean.

Manufactures have a "minium" requirement for what plow fits, that said any plow listed, within reason will work on your rig. A Hiniker 8'6 v is a nice choice, the weight is just slightly more than a straight blade, or the Blizzard Speedwing is an option. A 8' steel plow weights in at 640# give or take , a 8'6 Hiniker poly v is 790, the speed wing is 810, the 8100 blizzard is 924, a boss 8'2 v is 770. Proper balast in the truck bed is a must, a 3-5 truns on the t-bars also works wonders. Its your truck, buy what you like and get out and plow.

http://www.blizzardplows.com/speedwing.asp
http://www.hiniker.com/snow_products/index.html

Thnx a million for the links and the information.

Looking at the v from hiniker I noticed that the cylinder is duouble action were as the boss looks to be single and relies on the springs to pull the blades back. I really like the idea of having the cylinder do both push and pulling of the blade. That Speedwing is something else. Never seen this before. I think I'm going to look at these 2 a lot harder

Guess I'll have to find a local dealer and request a quote on both.

As to what I plan on doing, A little of everything. Lots, driveways and anything else.

Thnx again to everyone who responded.

Depends on what you're planning on doing with the plow. Most cities/towns around here anyhow require a minimum 2500 w/8' plow.

I've never used a V, but have been nothing but happy with my straight blade. I can see the benefits of the V, specifically for the 'scoop' position to eliminate the wingrow cleeaning up large parking lots.

FOr strength, durablility and low cost, I dont' think you can beat a straigt blade.

If you just want it to fart around doing a few driveways and other tight quarters, you may be better off with a 7 1/2' plow for weight, but I wouldn't recommend anything less than 8'.

700lbs of sandbags in the back is a must too. It'll take the nose-diving bounces out of it, and give you much needed traction and weight.

i have plowed one storm wth a v, and i must say, what a huge difference! it is so much better, especially clean up. but i like the setup i have now, less parts to break. 8'-6" diamond straight with beyers aftermarket removable wings. i spent 2 years without em, and now, imlost without em! they make the world of difference. they are kinda like the blizzards, but they are fixed. i now have an overall width of 10', but i can easily remove them to keep the edges/curbs sharp, and my uncle like to clean up without em on. i dont see the dfference.

I learned along time ago due to a very addictive nature that I have, not to try anything new especially if I'm already happy with the old ways :)

If I never drive a new D-Max, my 6.5 feels plenty powerful.... Once you drive a D-Max................... Etc, etc :)

When your V plow is 12 years old come post here and tell me how its holding up :)

I would hope that it is working just fine and holding its own.
Regular PM should ensure this.

I agree :) Sometimes those of us with inferior/old equiptment like to take pride in the fact that it's taken the abuse of time and still holding strong. It's all we have. Don't take that away too!:thumbsup:

I would hope that it is working just fine and holding its own.
Regular PM should ensure this.

very true Robert

I agree :) Sometimes those of us with inferior/old equiptment like to take pride in the fact that it's taken the abuse of time and still holding strong. It's all we have. Don't take that away too!:thumbsup:

i completely agree with that, abd that goes along with the first quote by robert, regular PM will make it last :thumbsup:

Nothing against anything any one is plowing with, but time is money and if you can update to a better plow, become more efficient and possibly pickup more accounts then it a huge win :) A blizzard or a Veee will embarrass a straight blade, they are at least 20% faster if not more, thus you can add more accounts or not get up as early....

Nothing against anything any one is plowing with, but time is money and if you can update to a better plow, become more efficient and possibly pickup more accounts then it a huge win :) A blizzard or a Veee will embarrass a straight blade, they are at least 20% faster if not more, thus you can add more accounts or not get up as early....

Well put.... I'm sure they're the balls... just having a few more 'options' of plow approach angles.... Not to mention the scoop... or just a 'touch' of scoop would make nice cleanup work no doubt.

Back