• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What tuning are you running?

I don't turn mine down in the winter months. Then again I don't drive on wet roads,snow covered roads or icy conditions. :D

Having a big tune and run ability is no different then stock IMO. Once the truck is up to operating temperature it has no concern to ambient temperatures. The only thing that might run cooler would be your transmission or take longer to warm up. You wont have TC lock up until it reaches approximately 100 degrees anyway.

The only issue I see with running a bigger tune would be the loss of traction on slippery roads which includes not only wet roads but roads with a light film of sand or salt or a combination of the two.

Traction would be the only concern in other words,IMO.
That would be my concern and the reason I will probably tune down. That and I will be plowing, so I don't want to beat on it plowing.

Right now I'm running a DSP5 tune that Nick wrote for me. I had my own tune in there, but limped the tranny with it. Actually I'm begining to think that I only limped it that one time. I've never actually illuminated the CEL since the first time, although it has "popped" out of gear and then stayed in 3rd for a while. I've pulled codes from it several times after it shifted funny, but it's all been class 2 comunications codes. Losing comunication between ECM and all the other modules. My tune had more smoke than the DSP5 smoke tune and more race than the DSP5 race tune.

BTW: what happened to that idea of yours for a ten way switch?

A good question that hopefully one of our resident experts can expound upon.

My thought process for tuning down in the winter is twofold. The first is the nasty sounding clatter from the engine that you get with advanced timing in cold weather. The second is the possibility of breaking traction on an icy or snowy road with a "go fast" tune.

Yeah BKDespain, that was my question too.

I have the same philosophy as you Bud, the clatter in my big tune in the fall had me worried for winter temps, and the driving conditions. But my truck is like a Corvette in the snow in 2wd with the stock tune, and my big tune does have somewhat stock characteristics down low.

I guess I was mainly concerned with correct timing, and what may be affected in colder temps, and what the ecm has to compensate/adjust due to the ambient air temps. Maybe Tony can lend us some help.

A good question that hopefully one of our resident experts can expound upon.

My thought process for tuning down in the winter is twofold. The first is the nasty sounding clatter from the engine that you get with advanced timing in cold weather. The second is the possibility of breaking traction on an icy or snowy road with a "go fast" tune.

The Nasty Clatter is easily fixed.........traction with a big tune and icy roads is a challenge, I turn my down with the DSP5 in my '02.

:D

Right now running the 120 Tune from Predator, but will be tuning it back down to the 65 tune once winter really hits. w/ stock tranny + Trans-Go

Last edited:
BTW: what happened to that idea of yours for a ten way switch?
Ross and Paul over at EFI pretty much made it obsolete before I even made it. Well, not really it would still have its uses, but I no longer needed it after they gave us the capability to switch DSP tunes with the V2.
I have a V2 so I wouldn't need a switch. But my uncle on the other hand, he doesn't and I tuned his topkick with EFI. He could still benefit because I could install a DSP5 tune on his truck and he would need a way to switch tunes. But I wouldn't got through all that trouble for him. If I even let him know I could do that, he would be getting that big bulky switch that I got from Nick (duramaxtuner)
The only reason I was making it was because I was being anal. I didn't want that big bulky switch. So, I was going to install a little tact switch and hopefully run it to a 4017 semiconductor clock input. Then I was going to run outputs 0,1,2,3,4 to transistors which would complete the connection from the ecm through various value resistors to ground. I was going to run output 5 to the reset on the 4017. I was also going to run some leds off from additional transistors to indicate which tune I was currently running in. Of course, this was all in theory. I'm no electronics guy this was just based off some basic research I had done. Although I do have most of the parts to build it, I hadn't finished my research to make sure it would actually work.
So, that's the long winded explanation. If anybody else wants to give it a shot go ahead. I won't go crying foul for "stealing my idea" although you may have to use a different IC than I was going to use.

A 135 HP tune all the time even when towing. I dont change it in the winter either. I guess I should rig up a DSP5 switch this winter for my EFI and actually use the features I bought it for in the first place.

Ross and Paul over at EFI pretty much made it obsolete before I even made it. Well, not really it would still have its uses, but I no longer needed it after they gave us the capability to switch DSP tunes with the V2.
I have a V2 so I wouldn't need a switch. But my uncle on the other hand, he doesn't and I tuned his topkick with EFI. He could still benefit because I could install a DSP5 tune on his truck and he would need a way to switch tunes. But I wouldn't got through all that trouble for him. If I even let him know I could do that, he would be getting that big bulky switch that I got from Nick (duramaxtuner)
The only reason I was making it was because I was being anal. I didn't want that big bulky switch. So, I was going to install a little tact switch and hopefully run it to a 4017 semiconductor clock input. Then I was going to run outputs 0,1,2,3,4 to transistors which would complete the connection from the ecm through various value resistors to ground. I was going to run output 5 to the reset on the 4017. I was also going to run some leds off from additional transistors to indicate which tune I was currently running in. Of course, this was all in theory. I'm no electronics guy this was just based off some basic research I had done. Although I do have most of the parts to build it, I hadn't finished my research to make sure it would actually work.
So, that's the long winded explanation. If anybody else wants to give it a shot go ahead. I won't go crying foul for "stealing my idea" although you may have to use a different IC than I was going to use.
Thanks for the reply...I'd like to have seen you finish it though...just for the cool factor...

I went back to stock and gained 1 mpg over lvl 3. My TC doesn't like that much power anymore.

Back