• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What tuning are you running?

BudTX

Edjumacated Redneck
Reaction score
Just like the title says, what daily tuning are you running on your truck?

I have a PPE Hot +2 ET on the 350 tune right now, but have been toying with the idea of taking it back several notches for the winter. I have a built tranny, lift pump, shim mod, etc. to make the most of that level of tune.

EFI live t:eek:w tune with a few tweaks...

SC V trans
head studs by Merchants... and still lost the new headgaskets...so no big power for me until I get them fixed... again

Been running Duramaxtuner's Hot Tow tune all summer. Can't run the race tune as I code every time I get on it (I really need to get the LPs installed).

Based on my experiences the past few winters with the Edge, I am pretty sure I will put the stock tune in for winter. Hopefully I can keep the dmax safely in the driveway all winter, but just in case I need to take it out, I'd rather not be swapping ends....

The infamous TTS Extreme.

Full ATS transmission,twin lift pumps,AFE intake and Bald Tires.

Winter? ):h

Predator 85 currently. Thats more than enough for me. LBZ's dont need much. I also have a Hyperpac Live Data that I use up until I got my EGR valve replaced. Now with GM's latest software, the Hyperpac is useless. It wont even communicate with the ECM anymore. I've gotten zero support from Hypertech. So, right now, its a $700 paper weight. I really do like the tune though.

EFI Live set at 400hp. ):h):h):h

Just wanted to be cool and say I had it set at something. Damn dieselers :thumbsup:

Right now I'm running a DSP5 tune that Nick wrote for me. I had my own tune in there, but limped the tranny with it. Actually I'm begining to think that I only limped it that one time. I've never actually illuminated the CEL since the first time, although it has "popped" out of gear and then stayed in 3rd for a while. I've pulled codes from it several times after it shifted funny, but it's all been class 2 comunications codes. Losing comunication between ECM and all the other modules. My tune had more smoke than the DSP5 smoke tune and more race than the DSP5 race tune.

I run PPE's 90 or 160 for everyday driving and the 40 for towing. I'm not sure about what tune to run in the winter. People talk about how hot tunes are harder on the trucks in the winter, but I don't know exactly why. Not to hijack the thread, but why is that?

Like Nick... Predator +85 hp tune - more than enough for me. I've never limped the tranny, I don't have enough power to tempt me to wind up with speeding tickets, and I have under $200 in my tuner... so I'm pretty happy.

I run PPE's 90 or 160 for everyday driving and the 40 for towing. I'm not sure about what tune to run in the winter. People talk about how hot tunes are harder on the trucks in the winter, but I don't know exactly why. Not to hijack the thread, but why is that?

A good question that hopefully one of our resident experts can expound upon.

My thought process for tuning down in the winter is twofold. The first is the nasty sounding clatter from the engine that you get with advanced timing in cold weather. The second is the possibility of breaking traction on an icy or snowy road with a "go fast" tune.

I don't turn mine down in the winter months. Then again I don't drive on wet roads,snow covered roads or icy conditions. :D

Having a big tune and run ability is no different then stock IMO. Once the truck is up to operating temperature it has no concern to ambient temperatures. The only thing that might run cooler would be your transmission or take longer to warm up. You wont have TC lock up until it reaches approximately 100 degrees anyway.

The only issue I see with running a bigger tune would be the loss of traction on slippery roads which includes not only wet roads but roads with a light film of sand or salt or a combination of the two.

Traction would be the only concern in other words,IMO.

Back