• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What trans is in a Dodge 1500..

DEERE3594

I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!
Reaction score
Trying to find out what trans is in a half ton 1997 Dodge 4x4 with a 318.. I know NOTHING about Dodge.. any ideas?

X2 if memory serves me. Same tranny as Dakota's and Jeep grand Cherokee's. If you are rebuilding it or replacing it you should flush out the cooler and replace the line/check valve. The check valve is most likely the reason why the tranny crapped out.

IIRC it's a 46RE, the "H"s were used up to 1995 I believe, the "E"s (electronic) replaced them for 1996 and up (my 96 with the 5.9L has a 46RE).

97 could be either, but mostly H's. The RE's were in full force in the RAM's in 98 when the new dash came out. I worked for DODGE and have seen both in the same year. The DAKOTAS/DURANGOS were a whole nother story though as the 44RE got thrown into that mix for certain years.

THey are asking me what to "bore out" in the valve body to make them perform better.. Does that make sence to anyone?

Also is it a Torqueflite or not?

Will putting a shift kit in help the flow and help it shift?

Probably the holes in the plate between the halves of the valve body. Shift kits generally involve upgraded pistons and springs and a couple holes than need to be enlarged in the plate. At least that is what I've seen.

So your saying you dont get new plates with the shift kits? This is all new to me...

In looking...some kits have new plates, some have little drill bits supplied. Did you ever get the transmission identified?

Thank you sir. no not yet :eek:
He wanted to find our more information before he tore it apart so it dosnt site around non driveable...

Back