• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What To Do With Our 6.5 Suburban Head Gasket/Blowby...

CORVAIRWILD

Reaction score
In Arizona, buying another diesel Suburban
Our 1995 Suburban has been using a bit of anti freeze, and now it runs ruff on cold start up. Sounds like it's firing into the air cleaner, but it goes away after a few seconds or a minute, then runs perfect.
It has a bit of blowby, but with 252k, and always good maintenance, it's not too bad. so the question is...
1) do I put in head sealer and hope for the best?

2) Or put on two brand new heads?

3) Or remove the pistons if the cylinders aren't too scored, thro in some new rings and see what happens?

4) Rebuild the used engine from my other Sub, have that one rebuilt, then swap it in? Local very reputable shop is ready...

5) Buy a new block/heads crate motor from an ebay of some seller. The ebay blurb discusses new better block, better material, less brittle nickel, not cast or machined in China...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reman-92-03...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af2a4f5e1&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-2005-C...Parts_Accessories&hash=item20cfc15648&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160321520396?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I would be looking at a military take out engine from Ted's or that other place(I think Boyce?) and change gaskets and headstuds. IMO its the cheapest way to get a good engine with less worry about chinese brittle or beancounted flawed GM parts. I love my Teds engine with the addition of ATT and such. I was able to afford more upgrades with this route.

Possible just the head gaskets are blown.
Cracks in the block are a concern. Cracked heads are possible.
You can re-ring the engine and just deglaze the cylinders. They don't wear/taper like gas engines do.
But, in pulling the pistons you may be looking at mains cracks and wanting another block/engine. I have seen a crack free mains block that had oversize pistons and worn out bearings. Sadly it had a crack in a head bolt hole.

I run the low mile take out 6.2 engines to save cash. New set of 6.5 heads on a 6.2 bottom end is one way to go.

I had a similar problem, my truck started like crap, burned antifreeze, and such, ONE way to confirm if its your heads, is, is there air in your upper rad hose?, Does it boil into your coolant tank at idle with truck cold? mine did, which meant either a blown head gasket or bad heads... Turned out to be bad heads they were cracked and actually leaking out/ leaking in Antifreeze So I got some new heads from what was it Coldwater heads in florida? they turned out to be good, I put ARP head studs in, thats only 200 bux and I now run about 20-25 # boost with 240K or so miles on my truck or 380K Km's

IF you go with a different motor, I'd Highly suggest the military/ TEDS trucks GEP type motors, they have supposedly dont have all the flaws these 6.5 motors did coming from GM and they are built to last, I wouldnt get a motor off ebay, it will cost you more money also.

You can pull the coolant crossover and see what side is bubbling - water pump belt off of course.

With all the shortcomings of the 6.5's, and we only put on 10-12k a year, so anything I put in will last forever, and we seldom pull a trailer... I dunno if Mrs will go for anything used... I've done used for the 20+ years we've been married, usually with good results, but she only remembers the bad experiences.

As far as what's wrong with ours, it's not that bad, yet... No bubbling in the overflow that I've noticed. And what's the difference really, it needs a major something...

I'm mostly concerned about cracked mains. I hv the core from my other '94 Sub, and this one really runs well. But I don't feel like going thru the whole rigamarole of stripping the block, cleaning it then checking for cracks. Sounds like alot of work. Even if the local shop does it, it's still his time. I don't know if he even has magnaflux capability.

And Ted's gets $3,000 for a lo miles used long block. Not much more for a brand new hi tech eBay long block...

With all the shortcomings of the 6.5's, and we only put on 10-12k a year, so anything I put in will last forever, and we seldom pull a trailer... I dunno if Mrs will go for anything used... I've done used for the 20+ years we've been married, usually with good results, but she only remembers the bad experiences.

As far as what's wrong with ours, it's not that bad, yet... No bubbling in the overflow that I've noticed. And what's the difference really, it needs a major something...

I'm mostly concerned about cracked mains. I hv the core from my other '94 Sub, and this one really runs well. But I don't feel like going thru the whole rigamarole of stripping the block, cleaning it then checking for cracks. Sounds like alot of work. Even if the local shop does it, it's still his time. I don't know if he even has magnaflux capability.

And Ted's gets $3,000 for a lo miles used long block. Not much more for a brand new hi tech eBay long block...

all you really have to do is drop the pan to check for cracks (except for #8 cyl wall). Main bolt cracks are pretty easy to spot.

I usually use Brake clean, I use it on everything, works great to break down the grease and oil and move it out of the way of what ever your cleaning off, then it dries up so its clean afterwards

Back