• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What to do, What to do.....

FF_Opie

Fire Putr Outr
Reaction score
I picked up a cheap set of 17 inch Weld's off of C-list with BFG AT's. They are a bit big for my liking so I am kicking around getting smaller tires and putting them on my new to me truck. Here is my question:
There is some permanent damage on them from not being cleaned properly. I could look into getting them polished somewhere but I really don't think that will help. I am wondering about getting them powdercoated. Does anyone here have experience with this? I am worried about the ability to balance the tires and if the powdercoat will last in Iowa winters. I hate to drop a bunch of coin on them if it won't do any good.
Thanks!!

I have had powdercoated wheels and never had an issue as long as you clean them properly and on a regular basis..... make sure they get sand blasted before powercoating or else the powdercoat will just flake off and not bong....as for balancing, its a thin layer and will not effect the weight of the rim...

I have had powdercoated wheels and never had an issue as long as you clean them properly and on a regular basis..... make sure they get sand blasted before powercoating or else the powdercoat will just flake off and not bong....as for balancing, its a thin layer and will not effect the weight of the rim...

roger that. not enough weight to cause a problem. all the powder coat jobs i've seen have held up. just gotta make sure the surface is prepped right before it coated.

pc looks badass too. go for it.

I did some calling around today, I can get the wheels blasted and coated for 50 bucks per wheel. Whatcha guys think? Good price??

Do it, i had powder coated wheels on my tahoe all winter, the only things that went bad were the plastic chrome center caps, they started to rust, that's how bad the snow and salt are up here! $50 per wheel sounds great, what color? Black?

Ya, I am going black. I just need to find the time to get the tires off the rim so I can take them to the powdercoater. I am pretty excited since I don't have to drop $1,500 on a complete set of wheels and tires.

Here they are. What do you guys think? I went with 265-70-17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo's

Attachments

• WhiteChevy.jpg
    WhiteChevy.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 19
Man, freakin' sweet looking! Same color as I have, and I think you might have convinced me to go with a black wheel if I go with an aftermarket wheel. Nice job man!

Back