• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What the heck is next?

BIGR

Lucky To Be Here
Reaction score
Ok guys, guess when it rains it pours as far as my bad luck. Put two brand new batteries in yesterday and I thought life is good. Today I get in my truck and start it and bam, guess what the freaking check engine light is on. Truck is running just fine and I am headed to Wally World and there is an Advance Auto Parts Store in that area, so I am thinking let them read the codes to see if it is an EGR again or what? Drive to Advance Auto Parts and go inside. Sorry about this guys, but there was a hot blonde that was built like a brick house behind the counter. That uniform was very form fitting, but I did act like a gentleman. All though see had her arms covered in tattoos I didn't hold that against her. She ask me if she could help me and there again I was nice guys and ask her if she could read a code on my Chevy Truck to see why the check engine light was on. She said sure and grabbed her code reader, outside we went to my truck. She read two different codes, one said something about a rod in a hot box, NO, NO , NO, you guys it did not say that :), it said wheel speed sensor and of course TA, TA, No.2 Glow Plug circuit Open. I must say back in October of 2014, No.5 Glow Plug went bad on my truck. I had it fixed at the stealer. It appears to be doing the same thing now. Turn the switch on and the little glow plug curly cue light is acting strange.

Ok guys being serious, since it is not winter it should not hurt the truck as far as the Glow Plug issue to take a 600 mile trip this weekend, right? I need to tow my camper 244 miles and return empty this weekend real bad. What do you think about the wheel speed sensor, nothing to be alarmed at?

Also is anyone else having any problems with glow plugs going out? My mileage is just over 73,000, so should I have that many problems already with two different glow plugs? :(

Factory GP should last a lot longer. Mine went over 150k. I wouldn't worry about one being out. I have #6 out right now. I have 4 new ones to put in but haven't got around to it. You really ought to have a code reader though. But that would not be administered by a hot blonde... You could pull the wheels and rotate the tiresafteryou clean all the sensors. If the code stays then you'll have to replace one. I wouldn't worry about either for awhile but you'll have to live with the light.

It's not uncommon for lbz/lmm glow plugs to fail at anything over 75k miles. I've seen trucks with 30k miles lose glow plugs, but most seem to say 125k miles is about average. As to the wheel speed sensor, it could easily be a hub bearing going which is quite common at 80k miles.

Thanks for the info guys. Kind of odd both codes showed up at once (just my luck), but that's what Blondie said, there were two different codes. You mentioned the hub bearing, I replaced the right front about a year ago.

The speed sensor code probably didnt turn the light on as it should trip the abs light. The glow pkug code is the one that turned the light on.

Back