• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What switch do i need?

lovemyhd

Reaction score
I just installed a set of Hella 6" round, 100w lights on my bull bar. I dont like the switch that came with it and was wondering what switch i could use. On the shelf, i have a Calterm #40393, l.e.d rocker switch, 12v, 30 amp. Will this switch be sufficient?
Thank you

I always prefer running the power for the accessory through a relay controlled by the switch as opposed to running the power directly through the switch itself.

Advanced or Auto Zone does carry decent switches. I've bought several over the years and only had 1 that was bad from the beginning.

Put some pics up...

I always prefer running the power for the accessory through a relay controlled by the switch as opposed to running the power directly through the switch itself.

It does go through a relay, but i still need a switch, i just wondered if the switch was the right rating

Nick.....heres a cell phone pic

Bullbar.jpg

Your switch should be fine. Just make sure the wires are big enough to handle the juice. I switched out to high wattage bulbs in my PIAA's. One set are 130 watt and the others are 150 watts. I only run a 15 amp fuse, the one that came with the origional kit. It dosent blow the fuses, it melts them. Literally have pull out the fuse with a pair needle nose because they melted right into the slot, which are close to being trash themselves. I think I need thicker wire to handle the added juice.

Mine came as a kit with the relay, wiring, and everything needed. The directions say to hook one of the wires from the switch to the high beam +. If i do that, will the lights only work with the high beams?

I dont think so. If you do that, when you turn on your highbeams, the lights will cut off, just as the factory low beams and fog lights do. I wouldnt want that. I would want a separate switch, just like I have to now to run them whenever I want.

Thats what I'm thinking too.
On a side note.......where in Fl are you? I'll be heading to Jacksonville tomorrow, then flying out to Sacramento Tuesday, then driving a car back to Fl......then the following week, I'll be staying out in Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island, and heading down to Sebring to see a buddy of mine one day that week

It does go through a relay, but i still need a switch, i just wondered if the switch was the right rating

In that case it's more than sufficient,you'll get nowhere near 30 amps for the control side of the relay,your first post sounded like you were trying to run the power for the lights through the switch.:thumbsup:

Mine came as a kit with the relay, wiring, and everything needed. The directions say to hook one of the wires from the switch to the high beam +. If i do that, will the lights only work with the high beams?

Yes,from what you are describing you are using the high beam + as the trigger for your relay so they would not work without the high beams on.If you want to control the lights independently use a 12vdc source that is only powered with the ignition switch on (so you can't leave them on after you shut off the truck) as the relay trigger through the switch.

Got them wired and aimed (according to the directions) and everything works great! Switch mounted on dash next to headlight switch........very pleased with the install!

Last edited:
Why would you not want them on with the high beams? All that really does is make them go off when you use your dimmer switch.

Why would you not want them on with the high beams? All that really does is make them go off when you use your dimmer switch.

For more control over when they can be turned on. If you want them to only come on when the high beams are on then yes that works.Personally,I like a seperate switch so I could turn them on whenever I want too.

Back