• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What software is offered for GM diesel, and is it Vista Compatable?

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to get a new HP laptop computer, and i am trying to decide XP or vista. At college, either one would work, buy on the work/Play side (GM diesel)
i was wondering..

1:
what all programs are offered for 6.5L Turbo Diesel (and possibly LB7 Duramax)

2:
will all these programs work with vista, or should i get XP to be safe?

All recomendations appreciated, thanks!

EFI Live for the LB7... Not sure for the 6.5...

EFI is Vista and XP compatible, but in my opinion, I think XP is better

XP is proven, but support will be dropped sooner.

Vista is not proven, but support will last longer.

I guess one could compare XP= LB7, Vista LMM

Vista, high performance, but not all bugs worked out, XP, proven, but not as high performance.

Still undecided though.

EFI Live will pull codes on the OBD2 6.5td and that's about it.

It will tune the crap out of some dmax's though.

Westers at one time had a software tune package for the 6.5, was inexpensive at 1st, but IIRC price got pretty high later on them, not sure what system it works with, or if still available.

Engh motors has a good OBD-I scan software packet,

I don't know how much this will help, but, I do quite a bit of work on computers and I am an avid Linux user, Microsoft ( sheeez ) anyways I would recommend Vista premium or Vista business if you have a choice.

I bought a Dell ( at the Dell outlet store online, much cheaper) and set it up with Vista Business, been happy ever since. It ( vista ) will run most programs without any problem it is backwards compatible with XP because Vista is really just a wrapper program for XP. SO get Vista it is the next system for the future and will be much more adaptable than XP as time goes on.

If you want to get in on the revolution use Linux or try it out without loading it on your machine by using the UBUNTU Linux live cd http://www.ubuntu.com/ and check it out. Perfectly safe.

On the live scan software I to have been putting of purchasing a program because most won't do all the things I would like it to do.

By the way did I say Ubuntu Linux was completely FREE and so are the programs. hummmm

Back