• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What size / dimensions are Duramax Mufflers? Is there a good stainless muffler off a

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
What size / dimensions are Duramax Mufflers?

Is there a good stainless muffler off a different vehicle that would work better?

Could I fit an OEM Duramax Muffler under my 95 Tahoe 6.5 TD?

I think it's 3 1/4 in and out. I won't have an opportunity to measure for a couple of days but I can go look before the weekend. It's in the back barn.

Sent from my SCH-I535

The muffler on my 2006 D-max is 3-1/4" ID 3-1/2" heavy walled pipe the muffler is oval 25" long x 12" high x 9" wide with a 7" offset center to center

The muffler on my 2006 D-max is 3-1/4" ID 3-1/2" heavy walled pipe the muffler is oval 25" long x 12" high x 9" wide with a 7" offset center to center
Sounds about right... Thanks.
If that'll work Jeff, you know where to get a free one.

3-1/2 OD on the pipe, missed the OD, looking at the muffler it appears the pipe slides a little into the muffler then welded.

I believe all the exhaust pipes on Duramax trucks are 3.5 inch outside diameter. The Duramax OEM mufflers are nothing to talk about. They are very, very restrictive.

I believe all the exhaust pipes on Duramax trucks are 3.5 inch outside diameter. The Duramax OEM mufflers are nothing to talk about. They are very, very restrictive.

Hopefully not too restrictive for the exhaust system on the 6.5 Tahoe. I had a stainless aftermarket system on the Tahoe and it is not holding up as well as I hoped.

Do the OEM Duramax mufflers hold up forever like the OEM 6.5 mufflers seem to?

I am not sure, as many ditch the mufflers and go with a good aftermarket, less restrictive setup. I just know from a few other members, that the OEM Duramax mufflers are very restrictive.

Could give an OE Muffler off a Cummins Ram a shot. They're 4" and according to some Cummins "know it alls", flow good enough that you're not gonna notice a difference other than sound if you put on a performance muffler.

Back