• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What order to mod truck??

raptorider01

Reaction score
For those of you who have your trucks all tricked out with intake/exhaust/programmer/egr blocker/etc... If you could do it again, which mod would you do first and are there any you wouldnt waste your time and money on?

Im all stock and looking to get started soon on a few upgrades. :eyebrows:

Brian

When I was looking to upgrade the order that I was told was exhaust, gauges, programmer. If you have enough self control not to turn your programmer up much past stock then you can probably get away with doing that first but it is safer IMO to have the exhaust and gauges first. That way the truck breaths better and you can monitor your EGTs and boost.

I went with the programmer, exhaust then gauges. Grab a programmer and set it around 90 hp and you should be fine as long as your not towing heavy.

If you're going for big horsepower, I suggest you upgrade your tranny 1st. That will probably be the biggest and best investment you do for your truck. A pyro gauge would also be on top of the list.

If there is any chance at all in your mind that youll want more than 400RWHP. Do the tranny first. Otherwise youll kep putting it off.

Other than that I say programmer and gauges first. Exhaust next.

Intake is the biggest waste of money IMO.

Why does everyone say intake is waste of money? how can you get 10hp for less than $300? here's a dyno sheet for the 7.3L...its the only one I have on my puter...

400-113-dyno.jpg

Why does everyone say intake is waste of money? how can you get 10hp for less than $300? here's a dyno sheet for the 7.3L...its the only one I have on my puter...

400-113-dyno.jpg

The stock intake on the D-Max is not bad. With a little mod. you can re use the exitisting housing. You can use that extra $300.00 and buy a predator off of ebay and get much more than 10 HP :D

400-113-dyno.jpg

That could be true for a powerstroke, us Duramax guys don't benifit to much from just adding a intake. So says the testers.

The powerstrokes intake is much more constrictive than the factory DMax intake.

So an intake on a stroker will get you 10hp for $300. A simple tuner that gives you say 100hp for $400 has a much bigger return on investment.

Luckily for me the guy before me already put an intake on the truck so I didnt have to.

As far as lift pumps go. if you go with a FASS you will only need a 95GPH pump. Unless you plan on running BIG numbers. The 150 is noisier and unecessary which is why im getting one.

The powerstrokes intake is much more constrictive than the factory DMax intake.

So an intake on a stroker will get you 10hp for $300. A simple tuner that gives you say 100hp for $400 has a much bigger return on investment.

Luckily for me the guy before me already put an intake on the truck so I didnt have to.

As far as lift pumps go. if you go with a FASS you will only need a 95GPH pump. Unless you plan on running BIG numbers. The 150 is noisier and unecessary which is why im getting one.

LOL!!! Atta boy!!!

So you spend $400 and get 100hp and then spend $260 or $280 and 10-15hp..That is a powerstoke dyno sheet, I'll try and get a d-max one. And yes a modded intake may give you a little power, but you will always get more gain out of the intakes...and of course better fuel economy

lets see. first I did the stereo. then the tuner, then the guages then the exhaust then tranny and REAL tuner. then lift pump and just recently slapped in a K and N drop in filter and modded the stock air box

True the intake WILL give you power but is it really worth it.

The Dmax sheets ive seen report 1-5hp which is hardly measureable on a dyno.

An intake has its place, is it necessary, yes and no. It will make and improvement but in my mind that money can be better spent elsewhere up front.

Its like upgrading the rods on Cummins while your under 1,500hp. Is it necessary, no, does it have its advantages, yes.

but to each his own.

lets see. first I did the stereo. then the tuner, then the guages then the exhaust then tranny and REAL tuner. then lift pump and just recently slapped in a K and N drop in filter and modded the stock air box

yeah, i ditched the factory stuff the first week i had it. Darn blown drivers speaker and it stole one of my cd's!

True the intake WILL give you power but is it really worth it.

The Dmax sheets ive seen report 1-5hp which is hardly measureable on a dyno.

An intake has its place, is it necessary, yes and no. It will make and improvement but in my mind that money can be better spent elsewhere up front.

Its like upgrading the rods on Cummins while your under 1,500hp. Is it necessary, no, does it have its advantages, yes.

but to each his own.

mine has the updated 06 airbox, so i will probably just do the ppe airbox mod and go from there. It sounds like thats the best bang for the buck to me also. Maybe someday i'll add a full intake for the bling factor :D

Im thinking i will straight pipe the factory exhaust for now and then save up for a predator and guages. Although EFI live would be cool....

Brian

yeah, i ditched the factory stuff the first week i had it. Darn blown drivers speaker and it stole one of my cd's!

mine has the updated 06 airbox, so i will probably just do the ppe airbox mod and go from there. It sounds like thats the best bang for the buck to me also. Maybe someday i'll add a full intake for the bling factor :D

Im thinking i will straight pipe the factory exhaust for now and then save up for a predator and guages. Although EFI live would be cool....

Brian

I think you have yourself on track. Good tuner to start out with is a great idea for beginners, thats what I did. I just did purchase EFI, something new and different.

Predator or Hypertech, each one of those is a good starter..:)

I agree with Jeff, you're deff. on track.. PPE airbox mod, straight pipe or upgraded exhaust and then some gauges (which I need as well)..Good luck with your mods.

Back