• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

what is under the flares on a pickup box?

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys, I have a lead on a brand new 8 foot white pickup box (removed for a flatbed) that has the 4x4 flares.

I was wondering if these flares are like the fronts, and there are screw holes, or are they just screwed on the lip of the fenderwell?

thanks guys!

Agreed. Holes in the wheel opening lip. About 5/16 dia since they went to the push pins. Sometimes there are a couple of screws at the lowest 2 holes.

Usually salt and rust, but as far as holes just under the lip no holes in the actual bedside.

All the factory flares I have seen have that metal reinforcing strip inside the flare. It has studs on it that go through holes all along the lip of the flare, so if you remove it you will see a bunch of hole in the bed side.

All the factory flares I have seen have that metal reinforcing strip inside the flare. It has studs on it that go through holes all along the lip of the flare, so if you remove it you will see a bunch of hole in the bed side.

I havent pulled apart many but the ones that I've had were always screws through the underside and double sided tape, there always pealing up and warped, because the tape must of gone to crap the minute they left the lot.

OK cool. All the ones like you discribe that I have seen have been aftermarket flares. On the newer 99 &^ they are factory like you discribed.

Just add matching flairs to the front or leave them as is - who is going to notice?

Back