• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What is everone using for scanners? looking to buy a tech 2

vegtech

WVO Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a tech 2 or a PC based software that will do the same functions. I have a GM tech 1 for the 95 but i have to borrow a tech 2 when i work on obd 2 stuff and i hate to borrow! I use Rosstech for the VW Audi stuff and it is great but who makes a good GM one?

I have carcode and hate it. I would look into Auto enginuity. Car code is glitchy, confusing and has zero tech support. You can get AE for the same price. Now if Nobby would ever see if his has cyl kill I'd already be ordering it...Tech2=$$$Not sure if the newer Snap On scanners like Solus or Modis work. Noone to my knowledge has tried it but TD has used the MT2500 and it reads the timing wrong.

I have carcode and hate it. I would look into Auto enginuity. Car code is glitchy, confusing and has zero tech support. You can get AE for the same price. Now if Nobby would ever see if his has cyl kill I'd already be ordering it...Tech2=$$$Not sure if the newer Snap On scanners like Solus or Modis work. Noone to my knowledge has tried it but TD has used the MT2500 and it reads the timing wrong.

When I looked into AE it was double the price, then you had to upgrade for every mfr.

Deja vu, just last night I was looking for a tech 2. All my vehicles are GM OBD2 so ifigure that it would be a good investment. from what I gather you should stay away from the copycat ones. They seem to be much cheaper but you get what you pay for.

Not sure if the newer Snap On scanners like Solus or Modis work. Noone to my knowledge has tried it but TD has used the MT2500 and it reads the timing wrong.

I've have access and have used Modis......Gives all the info, but I don't know if it is accurate (I would need something to compare it too)......After my warrantied dealer installed IP a few years ago, my TDCO was -1.94 according to Modis.......Was the dealer Tech that 6.5 savy, that he set TDCO at the correct performance value......IDK?

I've have access and have used Modis......Gives all the info, but I don't know if it is accurate (I would need something to compare it too)......After my warrantied dealer installed IP a few years ago, my TDCO was -1.94 according to Modis.......Was the dealer Tech that 6.5 savy, that he set TDCO at the correct performance value......IDK?

Sounds like it's reading it right. TD's MT2500 was wayyy off. If he see's this maybe he'll post how much. I knew a guy on LI that also tried to use a Snap On brick with way off #'s so it's not just TD.

AE works by the year and specific letters in the VIN#.

Enough already Kenny, I'll hook it up and give it a whirl this weekend. :eek::D

Cheers
Nobby

Back