• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What is a good radio for the shop and portable. I have an analog one :-(

schiker

Reaction score
What is a good portable radio under $50-60 ish for the shop? I have a cheap $30 ish analog tune / CD player that looses the station through the day (as it warms up or sun shines on it if its out) and I have to retune in the station. Its very sensitive and sometimes hard to find the station again.

Anybody have one that you can set and forget? Are the cheap digital ones still analog tuned with "digital readout" or do they stay on a frequency? Most ones I see at the box stores are analog tune.

SiriusXM Radio Boombox with no commercial music channels and an external antenna kit... Yeah I know, spend way too much time in the garage. Add a couple big speakers and a shelf unit component amp to really cover up the blue smoke coming from under the hood when you smash your hand on something after the bolt breaks or slips.

Equipment can be free depending on how you negotiate with them on the phone... Yearly fee for service though.

I heard a Bose the other day. Tiny little thing about 6-8"w X 4-5"d X 2"h the sound was very nice. I heard it at a job and did not pay attention to it other than I thought it was a regular stereo they had on. Then the owner showed it to me and I was shocked. She was holding it in her hand and even though I was standing there looking right at it, it took a second to comprehind. That much sound coming from that little thing!! Wow.

No Idea how much they are BTW.

I have Sirius in the truck and use to like it more than I do now. I like it on longer trips. I just kind of use to local country stations playlist. I have had one of their radios but dislike taking unit in and out of truck.

Bose are too nice for what I want to use it for.

I will have to look for a boom box but they are not as popular anymore and all the ones I see at the cheaper box stores are analog tune. I want something that gets good reception and stays on frequency. Mine can pick up better or worse depending on if I am walking towards it to tune it back to the station. I have been thinking about one those construction radio's but haven't looked in detail at them.

See if you can find a Realistic (old brand by RadioShack) portable at a swap market as a lot of them run on AA's, DC, and / or AC.

Don't 'subscribe' to any radio anymore, I use a old Ipod (thus my music of choice) plumbed into a stereo tuner/amp (receiver) on the shelf. A pair of vintage Mission 2-ways in the corners perched on repurposed Dish TV satellite brackets. So elegant. They're actually Useful now. :rolleyes: Used to tune in FM via ext antenna but got away fron it. I did work good, just the FM programming around here Suuucks.

An inexpensive digital receiver with an external antenna will end your FM tuning woes.

Go to a thrift store & look for 'cube' stereos I have an 'Aiwa' unit with 3 cd player on top (only one cd space works but thats ok I dont listen to them anyways) 2 cassette slots on bottom (dont use) It has a very sensitive digital am-fm receiver which is what I wanted. Detachable speakers 3 or 4 preset stations. $7 bucks. The cassette doors are taped shut, loud music caused one or the other to fall open. Like I said 7 bucks. Find them a lot after christmas & when school (ie college) is out for summer.

Back