• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What I always wondered about oil

Wrecker

The Oil Geek
Reaction score
What would you like to know about Amsoil, or any other oil for that matter? Ask away, I don't know it all, but I can find out almost anything. Questions? Bring 'em here.

I'm not a salesman, I'm a supplier and an information resource. Use me.

I will.

I'm at around 4k on my first Amsoil change. I have a stock, non blocked, functioning EGR valve. I havent burned any oil as of yet. On my first change, is it normal to go around 10k miles? It seems awful high between changes. I'd also like one of those oil analysis kits to see if its ok so far...Do you have those?

I will.

I'm at around 4k on my first Amsoil change. I have a stock, non blocked, functioning EGR valve. I havent burned any oil as of yet. On my first change, is it normal to go around 10k miles? It seems awful high between changes. I'd also like one of those oil analysis kits to see if its ok so far...Do you have those?

10k is perfectly reasonable, I know it may seem high, but it's not. My oil has 22k+ miles on it right now, but it is not the first change with Amsoil. There will be some scrubbing of deposits going on so 10k is a good number for the first change.

Oil Analyisis is cheap $28.20 is the retail price (includes USPS or UPS postage paid to ship the sample back), member price is less (sorry can't post publicly). Using samples will give you quantitative information on whether you can continue to run the oil or not.

If running the oil to 10k is going to make you have sleepless nights, don't do it. But from a technical standpoint it is a conservative and appropriate interval.

Awesome. I'll be contacting you about this then. I was gonna go 7500 or so and thought 10k seemed a bit high for the first Amsoil change but if you say so...

Also, there's no pricing policy here. Post what you want. If you'd rather not, I understand.

I have one. Where and how to do the oil analisys?

I usually go about 7K - 10K I have been running Amsoil in my truck for 2 years and 40K miles... I love it. Other than it smells....

Awesome. I'll be contacting you about this then. I was gonna go 7500 or so and thought 10k seemed a bit high for the first Amsoil change but if you say so...

Also, there's no pricing policy here. Post what you want. If you'd rather not, I understand.

Amsoil does not allow me to post any price other than retail.

Give me a call.

I have one. Where and how to do the oil analisys?

I usually go about 7K - 10K I have been running Amsoil in my truck for 2 years and 40K miles... I love it. Other than it smells....

Oil analysis is relatively straightforward. pull a sample via dipstick tube with a sample pump, drain plug (you gotta be quick and it's messy) or with a Fumoto valve.

I have pumps available.

Then send it off and get the results.

Click here for more info.

I don't want to know...I'm skeered...

"Honey? about that transmission...? well...I just had my oil analyzed..."

A buddy of my dad's is an Amsoil dealer, so we will go through him, no offense, but he said Amsoil Guarantees their oil to 25k, no filters needed. I understand the first change should be less, due to the cleaning effect, but 25k seems high, because that is 2 years for our truck! We only average 12-15k per year, because we have other vehicles we put most of the miles on.

A buddy of my dad's is an Amsoil dealer, so we will go through him, no offense, but he said Amsoil Guarantees their oil to 25k, no filters needed. I understand the first change should be less, due to the cleaning effect, but 25k seems high, because that is 2 years for our truck! We only average 12-15k per year, because we have other vehicles we put most of the miles on.

All recommended drain intervals are when using an Amsoil EAO oil filter, if you use someone else's filter, the recommendations and guarantee do not apply beyond factory drain intervals.

Amsoil recommends either a shortened first drain or an engine flush prior to going 25k miles.

It bears saying 25k miles is for normal service and 15k miles severe service when using Synthetic Heavy-Duty Diesel & Marine Motor Oil SAE 15W-40 (AME) or Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil (HDD) . This oil is for NON DPF applications ONLY.

If you have a DPF, you must use AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil (DEO), it is recommended for use according to the longest service interval established by the engine, vehicle or equipment manufacturer.

Drain intervals may be extended when monitored by oil analysis.

Using the Amsoil Bypass filter setup and analysis you can go 60k between bypass filter changes.

A sample kit is way cheaper than a synthetic oil change.

I hope that explains it more clearly, and Dad's 05, no offense taken :smile5:

What's the price of 2.5 Gallons (10 quarts) of the Series 3000 Syn. HDD oil? and an EaA filter? My dad want's to know the price difference between Amsoil and the Delvac we normally run. He's being dumb, though, because he wants the oil changed more than every 25k, and i don't understand why. We would do it once a year, unless we hit the 25k mark, but we have only put 52k on in 3 years, so that is about 17k a year on that truck.

I have been using Amsoil for years now, waiting on my oil test as we speak, I used to change when the DIC told me too, now I will use the lad to tell me.

I am currently running Amsoil 15-40 with there EAO filter in my sled pulling truck, with no problems other than oil pressure is a bit low when engine is at full temp after a pull. Does Amsoil make a thicker grade like a 20-50 that I can run in my Duramax? The truck is almost strictly used for pulling, so miles are very low, but the miles it does see are very abusive. I change my oil once a year in the spring time, even know there is maybe only 10 miles on it.

Back