• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What have you done to improve fuel economy?

peidson

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this topic of increasing fuel mileage has been beat to death but I thought it would be interesting to know what others have done that they can HONESTLY say has increased their fuel economy.

Here is what I have done:
  1. Predator programmer: maybe a small increase (1 mpg) maybe
  2. 4" turbo-back exhaust: no increase in mpg's, but lower egt's
  3. finger stick and blocker plate: lost mileage in winter due to longer warm-up time; not sure about a change one way or another in summer
  4. PPE air box mod: no change
  5. KD boost stick: lost .5-1 mpg and had slightly higher egt's
  6. Tried Hypertech Max Energy: lost 1-1.5 mpg on hiway
  7. Tried Edge EVO: maybe a small increase (1 mpg) maybe
  8. Tried/trying Duramileage custom ECM: 1-1.5 mpg increase (new calibration on the way)
All mileage is hand calculated and GPS verified.
I get 18-20 mpg on the hiway @ 70-72 mph (17-18 in winter), 17-18 on rural roads @ 60 mph (15-17 in winter), 11-14.5 pulling my horse trailer and 10-12 pulling my 5'er depending on roads and speed.

So, what have you done and what is your experience?

I have been starting out real slow and coasting as much as possible and not going over the speed limit. I am not sure what the mileage is because I am not sure how much fuel I have been putting in. I was getting about 320 to 340 mile per tank before I slowed down. Afterwards I have been getting 470 -490 miles per tank. (I have 265 tires and the odometer has not been corrected) Pretty much all of my driving is on rural roads.

AIRAID MXP intake :eyebrows:

MBRP 4" Turbo back exhaust

Edge Juice w/ attitude set on mileage level (#1)

Fingerstick & egr block off

Amsoil fuel treatment every tank

Before lift, on 265 tire would get 18mpg around town/hwy driving, 20 mpg on freeway at 70mph.

After lift 35" tire, 14mpg around town/hwy, 16.5mpg on freeway at 70mph.

Starting to regret the lift with the 35" tires with fuel being $5 per gallon where I am. The "boat anchor" Iron Bull bumpers probably dont help either, I think the front weighs close to 350lbs with winch...

I try and ease into the throttle and not go over 70mph on the freeway as well.

I ride my motorcycle and whip on the Dmax, I still come out ahead.

Seriously, I run my Flashpaq on 2 and use synthetic front to rear. Picked up about 2-2.5 mpg highway when I did both at about the same time.

I've heard about that new Airaid intake, haven't read anything about it yet.:eyebrows:

Bought truck already had intake/exhaust:20mpg

Drove truck:18mpg

EFI Live: 22mpg

Figured out EFI Live:16MPG

Added 35s: 15mpg

Played with EFI Live some more: 12mpg

Everytime i sit down and tune my truck I can never seem to actually take the time to write a mileage tune.

For now left mine stock with the 245 tires. Have seen as high as 22.8 MPG on level ground running between 55 and 65. Wonder if a programmer would be worth while.

I've recently gotten efi live. I think when I'm done having fun with it, I'm going to start tuning for economy.

Well, it seemed when I bolted on my exhaust my mileage went up 2-3mpg. I was getting 17-18mpg consistantly before, but after putting on the exhaust, I am consistantly running 21-22mpg. I dont have an aftermarket intake (cant seem to justify it to myself) and I really dont romp on it. I think the best thing to do is moderate the right foot! - and that goes for any vehicle.:becky:

dude you only got a 1 mpg increase with the predator??? they advertise a 30% gain thats bullshiit. ppl have told me before that you dont really get that much but i didn't think youd only get 1 lol

dude you only got a 1 mpg increase with the predator??? they advertise a 30% gain thats bullshiit. ppl have told me before that you dont really get that much but i didn't think youd only get 1 lol

Thats just about what I got also but it sure is nice to have the extra power.

Easy on the throttle and I consistantly get 19.5 to 20.5. 120 miles per day at 50% rural and 50% interstate. I do an EGR 3 gear "cleanout" romp once a day. Truck has over 70k on it and is totally stock.

Easy on the throttle and I consistantly get 19.5 to 20.5. 120 miles per day at 50% rural and 50% interstate. I do an EGR 3 gear "cleanout" romp once a day. Truck has over 70k on it and is totally stock.
If you had any hills down there you would probably get a couple mpg worst.

Back