• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What happened to this engine?

Michaeljp86

EVIL GENIUS
Reaction score
This is a VG4D air cooled V4 wisconsin thats on a trencher. It ran great and I went to try the trencher and the engine started to squeal. #4 has a tore up bearing and the cylinder is scored and the piston is tore up. Thats the one with the discolored valve. #2, the one next to 4 was a little tore up. 1 and 3 on the other side of the engine are in great shape. It always had oil pressure and as soon as I got it I pulled the sheetmetal off and made sure all the cooling fins were clean. I got the trencher at auction and it probably wasnt used for 5 years, maybe more.

DSC00514.jpg

DSC00515.jpg

DSC00516.jpg

Ouch! Bad oil pump? or ran dry at one time? Used stuff is a risk, sometimes you win and sometimes you fix.

Ouch! Bad oil pump? or ran dry at one time? Used stuff is a risk, sometimes you win and sometimes you fix.

see the bottom pic where that silver tube is with the nozzles. Those squirt oil onto the pistons and crank. Two of those were plugged up.:sad:

:eek: How'd the oil filter look?

Didnt look, it was brand new, should look pretty good. It looks like the pump puts the oil through this tube then whatever isnt sprayed out goes through the filter then back to the pan. Seems like a stupid way to build a engine. :rolleyes5:

Back