• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What happened to my fuel economy???

You dropped the tank to put in a new sender and mpg went down, when you get a significant change anytime on your truck always look at last maintenance activity, as stated before that big a loos means you have pressurized fuel loss or leak in the tank, you don't have big puddle on gnd so I suspect your leak isn't occuring unless engine/ip is flowing. yes tee valve that is the filter mgr drain

Actually it did puddle up while I was topping off. It was like a major rain below the fuel tank for about a minute or so. Do you think I have a hole in the rubber line between the fsu and the fuel return? That is the only place that I think would leak up there. Just to clarify I should drain the tank through the filter manager, right?

Drain as much as you can from the fill, then finish draining off using lift pump/filter mgr drain, or if you have time remember lift is only good for 28 gph new, probably only 15-20 gph if you have some time on the lift, you could drain entire tank with the lift/filter mgr drain. IIRC there is a o ring on the steel connector to the FSU, I'm thinking your leak mite be there, regardless you'll need to drop the tank to know for sure what is happening to cause the puddle

Drain as much as you can from the fill, then finish draining off using lift pump/filter mgr drain, or if you have time remember lift is only good for 28 gph new, probably only 15-20 gph if you have some time on the lift, you could drain entire tank with the lift/filter mgr drain. IIRC there is a o ring on the steel connector to the FSU, I'm thinking your leak mite be there, regardless you'll need to drop the tank to know for sure what is happening to cause the puddle

I was thinking the same thing about the oring. I also remember when I unscrewed the old fsu from the rubber hose the fsu male fitting wouln't spin freely so I twisted both hoses getting them off. I think I may have a leak on one of those hoses. I called the stealer and they said they only sold from the rubber hose up to the front of the motor. The hose couln't be sold separately. Any ideas on where to get the hose. I was thinking of getting a hose w/ some hose clamps. Will that work?

Thanks Tim. I just finished up. I had a $30 12 volt pump from harbor freight that worked great. Eventhough it says not for use w/ fuel. There were 3 problems. The baffle was out of place, the float came off, and the fsu oring wasn't seated properly. Topped it off and no leak. Thanks for the advise.

Back