• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What grit to deglaze cylinder wall

schiker

Reaction score
I scored a piston in my boat and developed light piston slap. Mercruiser 3.0 supposedly are bad for slap. It looks like I can hone it just a bit and install new std pistons and rings. Thinking of some coated hypertectics ones and maybe total seal rings.

What grit flex hone should I use I think 600. I did see a 320 but that's fairly aggressive? Saw 120 too but that is real aggressive????

I went back to totalseal website and they say call for a recommendation. They suggest different things for different combinations. So l'll give 'em a call later.

I googled a bit and was surprised to see some aggressive grit recommendations on ehow. I guess it depends on the condition of the engine. This engine doesn't have many hours and you can still see cross hatching in the cylinder walls and not much carbon and not any ridge ring everything is pretty clean.

I think I like the brush style hone but on second thought are the 3 fingers ones better.

What are the pro's and cons of each? I think the 3 stone ones would be better if you were taking out material or more aggressive but the brush style would be better for cleaning and light work?

The stone type gives a more even crosshatch depth and tend to make the walls even top to bottom. The bead hones are for light cleanup mostly.

Back