• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

what dry air filter?

Thats a good filter but I'd be leary about the flow quality of those. They're supposed to flow well but I had one and I took pictures of the stock intake with that filter and the stock Donaldson...You see for yourself which would flow better and why, all based on the design of the filter itself.

Attachments

• HPIM0939.jpg
    HPIM0939.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 44
  • HPIM0940.jpg
    HPIM0940.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 40
  • HPIM0941.jpg
    HPIM0941.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 41
  • HPIM0943.jpg
    HPIM0943.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 31
  • HPIM0944.jpg
    HPIM0944.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 44
I would stick with the stock AC/Delco made by Donaldson (BLUE honeycomb media). Any airflow gains from any other filter will be at the expense of more dirt getting into the engine. Unless you are racing the truck and making huge horsepower, any gains will be imperceptible.

Anything other than the stock filter will be a waste of money in more ways than you might care to list.

The newer stock units (2006 and newer) flow considerably better then the old square filters and as good as some aftermarket one, don't they? I remember hearing that.

I have read numerous times that even the square one on my LLY is more than adequate... unless you are making over 500hp then you might benefit from an aftermarket set-up.

I dont know if thats true with the 04's and 05's. I ran an AFE stage 2 on my LLY and loved it. The stock intakes on the LLY's are like an inch smaller than LBZ intakes. I think if any model years could benefit from an intake system, it'd be 01-05. Of course, I could be wrong.

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to upgrade but that's not where I want to throw a few hundred at right now. :smile5: First I gotta get a LBZ mouthpiece.

keep your stocker and do the air box mod. the only reason i have an aftermarket one is cause i got it brand new for $50. and i see the possibility of new turboin the future.

Is there any real difference you can tell or that you actually get with doing the stock intake air box mod. I have heard of it and have seen it, and it seems quite easy to do. I see that you have it done Nick and wonder what you think of it.

I didnt feel or notice any difference at all. I really like it though. I mainly bought it to see if I get better mileage with it.

I remember putting on an AFE stage 2 on my 04 LLY. Stock, it really woke that thing up. There was no question in my mind at that point that it was definitely breathing better. Throttle response went up and so did my mileage.

With these newer trucks though, I'm not so sure anymore.

You probably won't notice any difference until you start putting over 400-500 rwhp. I couldn't really notice the power when I did mine, but it showed at the last dyno run.

I did look a little for an S&B seeings how they filter so well supposedly. Guess I didn't look in the right place; all I found was complete intakes.
That AFE seemed like it blocked a lot of the intake tract w/ the endcap. Almost like you'd have to run it w/o the lid for any gains.

You noticed that too. Thats why I posted the pictures. That was their dry filter. I didnt run their oiled filter on my LBZ but never had any problems on my LLY in the past with their complete intake.

I know some of our vendors do sell just S&B filters because I bought one recently.

You noticed that too. Thats why I posted the pictures. That was their dry filter. I didnt run their oiled filter on my LBZ but never had any problems on my LLY in the past with their complete intake.

I know some of our vendors do sell just S&B filters because I bought one recently.

They make drop in S&B filters for the stock LLY box? What's the price on something like that?

I contacted S&B last week and they don't make a drop in for an LBZ.

Back