• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What do I need...?

Ranger

Spoolin that turbo ;0)
Reaction score
Howdy gents.

This is a sort of a conglomeration post, so bear with me.

My transfer case doesn't do 4wd anymore. it's not a NBSU thing because you hear it try to actuate. So, come November when the Alaska PFD comes out, we're going to get it up on the lift at my friends place and R&R the transfer case.

While it's basically in the shop, I have a laundry list of other things I'm going to do... Cubby hole cover replacement w/ a couple switches... VR straps .. Idler arm replacement.. Rear axle seal replacements.. all lights on w/ highs plus my light-forces... Replace the fuel filter and put the fender liner back in with some new liner clips... and fix the rear exhaust with an actual Banks muffler replacement pipe since the pipe I have now just don't work.

While the T-case is off and getting taken apart, I'm going to put in the pump upgrade so it doesn't end up putting a hole in the case.

Performance wise, I would like to just keep running the big tune off the predator with a PPE boost valve in-line to the wastegate.

My biggest question is about the transmission. I figure since we'll have the T-case off, we might as well go the whole mile and do some tranny upgrades since we'll be able to afford it.

I've limped it once before getting into it going uphill, but the only other time it limped was when I was a noob with diesels and was driving the Alcan at -65F with no grill covers...

Given my choice of performance mods (And it's as far as I really want to go) IE a bit more boost from the stock turbo, and the 120? horse tune off the predator.. What should I do to my transmission so I...

A) Don't limp it again
B) Freshen it up since it's got 130k+ on it
C) Don't have to touch it again

Tertiary question, what's the max boost the stock turbo can put out without spitting pieces into the engine/out the tailpipe? I don't want to frag the turbo either, but I was thinking that the PPE would let me use the fuel that it currently smokes out or hazes out depending upon load as it is now?

Thanks for your time and replies in advance.

If you don't want to worry about it or touch it again, and plan to stay somewhere in the vicinity of your current HP, a SC3 with a Transgo kit would be my suggestion. You may as well replace the converter with a 1054 while you are at it.

I have heard stories of stock turbos handling 40+ psi, but I get nervous when it hits 35. My PPE Hot +2 will peg my 35 psi boost gauge on the 425 hp setting, so I backed it down to the 350 and it maxes out at 34 psi or so.

call mike l. he has alot of stuff up his sleeve and probably can set you up with something within your budget. a converter and stock clutches with a transgo might be enough. call him, you have a specific goal which he can work off of.

Back