• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What changed on ECM between 95 and 96?

scottm

Reaction score
What changed about the ecm starting in 96? Did it go to OBD 2? How much harder is it to re program the newer ones? I ask because the newer the engine, the better for emissions-legal swapping.

yes it went to OBD2, prom is not removable so entire ECM has to be sent in for a reflash. OBD1 you can set yourself up to tune pretty reasonably not so with OBD2

As far as I know if you go manual IP then you will have to run a stand alone computer for the trans. I believe you can mod the existing harness to work. There are some guys here that have gone through this process and I am sure they will chime in shortly.

Thanks! Once it is working, can you put on a manual pump and have the ecm continue to run the trans? (for off road use only of course)

Nope.

The obdii PCM is looking for the APP signal which is essentially 3 TPS's.

Find a 92/93 TCM or use aftermarket controller. You will still need a TPS, but just a "traditional" single one on the throttle linkage.

Back