• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What are the signs of transmission ready to die?

whatnot

Reaction score
I have been going on longer trips lately which I would prefer not to get stranded on. I always keep the hot juice on the highest setting even when towing (set to defuel 4-5 shift only)and have almost since I got the truck. (somewhere around 55-60K miles)
When I got it, everyone on the DP was saying the transmission would go out real quick with the hot juice.
It has never limped. It shifts hard sometimes under light to medium load but is smooth under heavy load.
I don't really want to spend the money for a transmission upgrade if I will never really need it.
Is it safe to just keep driving it till it starts to limp or is there other stuff to watch for?

I'd say that unless you start having problems out of it, just keep driving it and don't worry yourself if you have no reason to worry. :beer:

The sings of failure are limp mode. If it hasnt limped that means it hasnt slipped. Slippage is really the only thing you need to be worried about with just a programmer and if it hasnt done it then your in the clear. Once it does do it, then maybe turn the edge down a level.

Just keep up on the maintnence and it should live well for you.

Also if you dont want to build it, you can always just go in and replace the C2s and C3s with stock parts. Itll still cost a lot, but its not a $4500 bill for a Suncoast.

That is what I was hoping to hear. I don't want to build the trans myself so it would end up costing a lot if I need it.

Take it up to Vinny. Seems like he's got it down pat. :cool:

Yeah unless it limps or slips clutches you are ok. Anything over stock hp/tq ratings your trans life will lessen. I would take what is said on DP with a grain of salt unless its ben, mikel or crafty1.

My C3's are probably close to black by now. :eek:

Sorry to hear that, on the bright side once it's built it's fun. :)

Back