• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

WH1C Installed, some smoke.

Do also check to ensure oil can freely drain back to the pan also. As stated above, the seals aren't really designed to be an absolute/positive seal, but more so the vast majority of oil follows the easier path (which should be the drain path to the pan).

More than one rebuilt turbo has been installed with the protective plastic drain plug still in the drain. Folks always see/remove the cap over the oil inlet, but the male plug in the drain sets close to flush with the mating surface & gets missed occasionally.

At startup things smoke as it's dumping the oil past the shaft seal into the intake & exhaust paths. There's typically no damage to the turbo or seals - just get the drain path opened up & the turbo works fine.

Took the turbo off and tore it back apart. Found out i installed 3 of the c-clips for the bearings bevelled side out. Corrected, also i did not put the mainshaft c-clip openings 180 degrees from the oil drain hole.

hows it running now?

Truck is running great so far. Smoked for a while after i re-installed the turbo due to the intake and exhaust being full of oil. But i took it up some large hills and got the EGT's about 950 degrees. Seemed to clean most of it out. Last night i ended up getting a side job doing some electrical in a new constructed home, it was about 45 minutes from home and i was a little skeptical on taking the truck just in case. However it made the trip with no issues at all. I have not done any WOT tests yet. I believe the turbo is still set to to high of a boost number. My mom is moving this weekend and i need the truck for that, so i wont play with it too much until after that.

I got the trans rebuilt too and it feels like it doesnt rob all the power that it used to. Very glad to be behind the wheel of the 6.5 again.

Back