• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Well, finally hit the limit and it's egt's....

The SSD walt exhaust sucks. Simply many better systems out there and the most important of all - hangers that work! I don't know what year the included flat blade hangers are supposed to go to but I have only seen round hangers on 1993 and 1995. You don't get round hanger brackets with this kit.

It cost me more than it should have to install this system because I had to buy hangers from the shop installing it.

I'm more than open to suggestions for a complete stainless system. I haven't been able to find one.

My 89 used the flat style hangars, not sure how high into the model years that went.

My 98 is round style hangars.

Meh, not a big deal to me....

Took me 15 minutes to cut the oem hangers off the old exh. and weld them to the ssd exh.

Helps to be a welder.

Hmmm, part of the problem maybe?

DSC04154.jpg

Dunno, best not to take the chance. Soooo:

DSC04155.jpg

Left a little bit of the center "ring" to provide some extra rigidity for the center section. Also, you can't see it, but I eased over the sharp edge where the air enters the plenum.

It is an "F" intake, no EGR or EGR plumbing at all. The lower is wide open. Nothing but a slightly domed floor. The upper was replaced just before I bought it, so it must have gotten one of the uncommon "F" intakes with the webbing.

I've often wondered why the web was there. Thought of everything from a baffle to smooth intake pulses to directing the air more at the runners. I've seen pics of it both there and not there on factory applications.

Meh, dunno why it was there really.

Gone now.....;)

The 2nd pic looks like my old one, have not pulled the newer one yet. Makes me wonder if that is an issue with the (intermittent) DTC code 78. Did get a couple of things done today. Pics to come when I walk upstairs to get the dang camera. LOL
BTW, Very nice job opening that upper plenum up!

I used a jigsaw with a broken-off (short) blade on mine ... took about 5 minutes. I have no idea why mine was like that, either... just floored me when I took it off and saw it. I didn't think F intakes came like that.

BJ not sure if you have gotten the exhaust issue sorted out yet but Alligator Performance (supporting vendor here), sells Diamond Eye Exhaust for the 6.5. I think he charges around $240 normally? He has a special going on right now for tax season so 10% off right now. And he does free shipping on everything over $49.99....

I ordered one last week for the green truck, and its supposed to be in Tuesday of this week. If your not in a rush I'll let you know how it turns out.

BJ not sure if you have gotten the exhaust issue sorted out yet but Alligator Performance (supporting vendor here), sells Diamond Eye Exhaust for the 6.5. I think he charges around $240 normally? He has a special going on right now for tax season so 10% off right now. And he does free shipping on everything over $49.99....

I ordered one last week for the green truck, and its supposed to be in Tuesday of this week. If your not in a rush I'll let you know how it turns out.

I don't think they sell acstaimless kit do they? Just a stainless muffler.

I need a full stainless kit. Aluminized steel will not do...

Ah ok. Didn't realize stainless was a must. The only stainless exhausts I was seeing where SSdiesel and... I think it was gibson? The gibson one was on summit racing. And well you know where walt is hiding :rolleyes:

How come you are looking at just stainless? I believe even MR BACHAND has an alluminized exhaust he coated on the outside with high temp spray and he uses that truck in the rust belt+plowing :eek:

Ah ok. Didn't realize stainless was a must. The only stainless exhausts I was seeing where SSdiesel and... I think it was gibson? The gibson one was on summit racing. And well you know where walt is hiding :rolleyes:

How come you are looking at just stainless? I believe even MR BACHAND has an alluminized exhaust he coated on the outside with high temp spray and he uses that truck in the rust belt+plowing :eek:

Where I'm going, al steel has a life expectancy of about 3 years before the pipes start "pin-holing" and the muffler seams start to split. Stainless is anywhere from 5-10 years in the same environment...

East coast is hard on everything. Even mor so than where Matt lives...That's why I'm popping the extra dough for a ss system.

BJ, did your F intake have the football shape on the top middle of it?! I was contemplating pulling my upper since everyone keeps saying their F intake has the webbing still, but mine doesn't have the football shape and I'm thinking it's one of the non-webbed ones.

You don't have to buy the hearthrob system from walt.Their system is designed for 92-93 style hangers. On hearthrob's web site they have a list of dealers. Perhaps one of them will ship with us post office to avoid the UPS shaft. Accurate Diesel sells Hearthrob. There used to be a Canadian exhaust co that made stainless 4 years ago. I don't remember the name though. Ji Fair may remember. There was lots of chat about it on the old site.

You don't have to buy the hearthrob system from walt.Their system is designed for 92-93 style hangers. On hearthrob's web site they have a list of dealers. Perhaps one of them will ship with us post office to avoid the UPS shaft. Accurate Diesel sells Hearthrob. There used to be a Canadian exhaust co that made stainless 4 years ago. I don't remember the name though. Ji Fair may remember. There was lots of chat about it on the old site.
Thanks, I'll head on over to the vendors forum and check out the web site...

I am only 20 miles from Hearthrob.[Litchfield ,Mn] I bought 2 systems from them direct. It cost more than buying through a dealer because they don't want to undercut their dealers. Maybe I could become a dealer?:skep::cool: I've never done the big customs paperwork yet but could learn. If you got the hangers from diamondeye it would be very easy or get the hanger mounts from a 93 or older truck. It was a pia to cut the mounting rods off the original pipes and bend them to fit. I could call them in the morning about becoming a dealer.

I am only 20 miles from Hearthrob.[Litchfield ,Mn] I bought 2 systems from them direct. It cost more than buying through a dealer because they don't want to undercut their dealers. Maybe I could become a dealer?:skep::cool: I've never done the big customs paperwork yet but could learn. If you got the hangers from diamondeye it would be very easy or get the hanger mounts from a 93 or older truck. It was a pia to cut the mounting rods off the original pipes and bend them to fit. I could call them in the morning about becoming a dealer.

I might be going out on a limb here, but I'd bet you're get at least a couple Canadian orders if you shipped USPS.

;)

I know I'd be in before you could sneeze if I could get the stainless kit via USPS for around 600 bucks......

I'll put it on my to-do list for the morning. Only costs a phone call. I can check with usps also to see how much of a pia it is. I have shipped small parts to Canada.:thumbsup: I think it was anything over $40 or $50 you have to write a book about it.:D
Does FedEx bend you over like UPS? I have a FedEX account. USPS isn't a problem either. When I find out the weight and dimensions I can get a USPS price. I have USPS software.:thumbsup:

I just shipped a sizeable box, more than 12" on two sides, about 30 pounds, and it was much cheaper via USPS than UPS. UPS was like $100 and USPS ended up being about $60 and wasnt a big pain. It would have been 10% less if I did it online I think.

Back