• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Week ago I modded my air intake box - Results posted

kachurak

Reaction score
:smileydan:Ok, last Saturday, I "cheese boxed" my intake following instructions that Nick PM'd me.

I'm happy to report first, no engine light. Second, the mileage has increase almost 50-70 miles to the tank believe it or not. I'm floored that it made that much of a difference.

I just wanted to say thanks Nick and thanks to the person that wrote that up. I don't have the link as it's back over "there" and I have no reason to return to it.

Matt, I am curious if that would make a better improvement than a CAI which I have (BullyDog RFI) the older design. I know the factory intake is good up to 500hp and also filters tenfolds better than any aftermarket design. Could you PM the design as well? thanks -Justin ps thanks for the site.. me likey...me wanna helpy...

kennedy has a pic on his site that shows how to cheese box it, lets more air flow to the filter faster....or it should

Wow, I've had mine modded for almost a year, and haven't had that much improvement..Are you running stock tires..?

I'm still standing by the CAI...I alwasy buy them, I always see a difference, and No one can change my mind on this... I am trying to get a D-Max dyno sheet to post to show that it is worth it...

FWIW...I've asked a couple CAi makers to show flow, and hp improvments if any..never heard 1 word from them...I won't name the makers, but all have heard of them.

Also, there was a test done re: cai's and the Duramax stock airintake with the ac delco filter..guess which one won..:biggrin5:

I know the guys at two companies so I am going to get the dyno sheets from at least one of them....its a little easier to get information when you are in the biz...ya know?

The link and instructions that were given me by Nick (Unit453)

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/
- Click on tech tips
- Click on duramax tips
- Click on dmax air intake mods

Matt, I am curious if that would make a better improvement than a CAI which I have (BullyDog RFI) the older design. I know the factory intake is good up to 500hp and also filters tenfolds better than any aftermarket design. Could you PM the design as well? thanks -Justin ps thanks for the site.. me likey...me wanna helpy...

Tires I have on it are 17" Hummer rims. 265/70/17

Wow, I've had mine modded for almost a year, and haven't had that much improvement..Are you running stock tires..?

Told Nick it was a rough idea - will know better on this tank though and keep you updated. I'm honestly shocked, I REALLY didn't believe it would make much of a difference at all. Overall, unless I miscalculated, it's an average of about 1.5 miles per gallon. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic! :hurray:

Matt, mine was modded as per Kennedy too..I had 258/16's at the time, now runnin 315/17 on H2 rims..Overall I still get over 17mpg in the city, so I can't complain..:smilewinkgrin:

Anything for better MPG's

Question, will this mode work on a 2006 model? Seems that everything was talking 01-05 even the filter replacement. Or did I read this wrong? :errr:

Matt, I was just wondering what year your truck is? I might have missed it so be gentle if i did. I was thinking that the best thing for an LBZ was to simply remove the airbox baffle ( the little plastic thing that looks like a fan blade) via the PPE airbox mod. Also this might be a little off topic but where is the best place to buy a replacement donaldson filter? I remember reading a while back about a new filter that was developed in part by Amsoil that was suppsoed to be a good alternative to the stock filter.

Where is the instructions on how to do this for an 04.5 LLY? Does it make much of an improvement on the 04.5-05 or is this mostly for the 06+ trucks?

Where is the instructions on how to do this for an 04.5 LLY? Does it make much of an improvement on the 04.5-05 or is this mostly for the 06+ trucks?

Per kachurak's post above:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/
- Click on tech tips
- Click on duramax tips
- Click on dmax air intake mods

That will work for your LLY. If you don't want to remove that much plastic, you can use a hole saw and "swiss cheese" your airbox in the same places shown in Kennedy's pictures.

I went with a full blown S&B intake that I am very pleased with, but needed that due to the big tune that I am running.

Matt, I was just wondering what year your truck is? I might have missed it so be gentle if i did. I was thinking that the best thing for an LBZ was to simply remove the airbox baffle ( the little plastic thing that looks like a fan blade) via the PPE airbox mod. Also this might be a little off topic but where is the best place to buy a replacement donaldson filter? I remember reading a while back about a new filter that was developed in part by Amsoil that was suppsoed to be a good alternative to the stock filter.

Its an 01.

Our LBZ boxes are very different.

What has me thinking that the OEM Filter is pretty much best, is...on the new Volant Intakes, doesn't the filter that they use look identical to the OEM Donaldson Filter?

Back