• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

We needed a Tow last night

jmiller

Recruit
Reaction score
On the way home from work, the truck just died. No power, just stopped running. We coasted to a stop and took a look.

It became apparent that the lift pump had quit. No thumping when the key is turned on, no fuel at the bleeder, etc. The smell of burnt electrical had me very worried, though. So I called my friendly towing company and had the truck towed home.

After crawling under the truck, once it was unloaded, I found the Lift pump was leaking a smelly brown liquid. (burnt varnish from the electromagnetic)

This morning, I picked up a new Delphi lift pump and started to install it.

After jacking up the truck for some more clearance, I noticed the front wheel move in a direction it shouldn't. After a wheel bearing check, I was reminded of Turbine Doc's thread :
http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=5992

In my case, the axle nut loosened up allowing the bearing to open up and cause the extra movement.

Unfortinately the rotor was too thin to move to the new bearing, but we've up and running after a draining of the bank account.

On the bright side, the lift pump didn't blow the fuse, burn out the relay, or destroy any wiring. I also was able to find the bad wheel bearing before the wheel went in a different direction than the truck.

I need to verify the OPS is still OK.

A Reminder,
put a torque wench to those axle nuts every once and awhile. :smile5:

So your lift pump caused your truck not only to stall but not re-fire?

I'm glad you found the bearing issue now as opposed to later. Did you check the other side, too?

another example of how reading and friends save lives. as well as doing your own work. good to hear everything caught in time and ok

So your lift pump caused your truck not only to stall but not re-fire?

yes. When I opend the filter to put in a new one, the fuel was down to the stand pipe that feeds the injection pump. I took off from a stop light, just before it died. The bleeder or filter seal must have allowed air in under the vacuum of no lift pump and high draw from the injection pump. (my guess)

I'm glad you found the bearing issue now as opposed to later. Did you check the other side, too?

Yep, it was tight. I'm going to recheck the torque on the repair to make sure it's tight in a couple days.

Back