• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Waterproofing PMD?

Tookie

Reaction score
I ordered a new D-Tech and extension harness, already have a heat sink.
Going to mount it in the bumper, I know a lot of folks have made their own remote mounts, what are people using to seal the PMD on the heat sink?
Silicone, epoxy......?

Also put dabs of RTV over the screw holes to prevent water from wicking down the threads....

OK, wasn't sure if regular silicone was good for it or not -

Thanks

RTV is very close to silicone, if not one in the same. I would say you are alright to use Silicone. Silicone will withstand heat alot more than a PMD will put out. It wont eat away at the pmd housing or anything like that.

Most mechanics use the word RTV, Carpenters would say silicone,... I've done thermostat housings with regular 100% silicone out of caulking guns in the past with great result. Never on the 6.5 of course (no need for sealer in mine anyhow)

Yes, RTV stands for Room-temperature vulcanization, silicone that cures
with no catalyst or heat required. I just wasn't sure if I should use silicone
or soft set epoxy - thanks, it'll be silicone

Yes, RTV stands for Room-temperature vulcanization, silicone that cures
with no catalyst or heat required. I just wasn't sure if I should use silicone
or soft set epoxy - thanks, it'll be silicone

Just remember that the best silicones are only rated for 50 years, so in 2059 you must re-do that PMD. Mark it on your calender.

just make sure that you don't put any RTV between the PMD and the heatsink. Silicone doesn't conduct heat.

If you use Arctic Silver correctly, it also act as a water barrier. Use a very thin layer and smear it evenly on both the heatsink and FSD.

I have one in mine with Arctic Silver, it seems to not get wet during Texas pouring rain.

Actually, a layer on just the PMD is more than sufficient. It doesn't take much to effectively transfer the heat. But even coating is important.

I use RTV that is rated for outdoor exposure (has UV stabilizers in it) as well as is rated for submersion sealing. My favorite is "Marine Goop", which is awesome stuff. Fixes all kinds of stuff, including my hip waders! $5 a tube.

-Rob :)

I use RTV that is rated for outdoor exposure (has UV stabilizers in it) as well as is rated for submersion sealing. My favorite is "Marine Goop", which is awesome stuff. Fixes all kinds of stuff, including my hip waders! $5 a tube.

-Rob :)

I use that and can get some stuff at the marina that will cure under water. Its some mean stuff, takes 7 days to dry but will be there the day you die. Its like $10 a tube, same size tube as the goop.

Back