• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Water/Meth vs. IC

Deere Freek

Recruit
Reaction score
What are the pro's and cons of each? I'm looking to get one or the other. The 2 i'm looking into is heath's mpg max water/meth kit and Kennedy's ic. Looking to make a purchase in the next couple weeks.

well, with an intercooler you never have a tank to fill. With water meth, there is no rerouting turbine outlet lines. With an intercooler you dont have to come up with a tank to put somewhere. With water meth you dont need to find a place to put an intercooler.

well, with an intercooler you never have a tank to fill. With water meth, there is no rerouting turbine outlet lines. With an intercooler you dont have to come up with a tank to put somewhere. With water meth you dont need to find a place to put an intercooler.
i like that answer. i have a w/m by devilsown on the way as it is somewhere between oklahoma and here. another plus is you can run water/methanol at 10% meth ratio which is good for more ponies as well as cooling the intake air. rather than ask the benefits of either you should say what your intent is. as an example, my reasoning for w/m is i tow rarely, the load i carry is no where near what a stock truck can handle. the climate here rarely hits anything near 95f. see location on my posts. helps us 2 help u. Ed

Do you do a lot of off-roading, DF? If not, Kennedy's Spearco IC is awfully pricey... you can build a hanging ATA Intercooler for about $300, and they seem to work just fine.

i do offroad which is one of the main reasons that would scare me to use an intercooler. I do moderate towing but typicly it's under 6k.

i do offroad which is one of the main reasons that would scare me to use an intercooler. I do moderate towing but typicly it's under 6k.

Could fab up an off-road plate for when you go 4-wheelin... take it off for regular driving.

Also the W/M gives MPG gains which is important too.

i like that answer. i have a w/m by devilsown on the way as it is somewhere between oklahoma and here. another plus is you can run water/methanol at 10% meth ratio which is good for more ponies as well as cooling the intake air. rather than ask the benefits of either you should say what your intent is. as an example, my reasoning for w/m is i tow rarely, the load i carry is no where near what a stock truck can handle. the climate here rarely hits anything near 95f. see location on my posts. helps us 2 help u. Ed

What noticable diffrences in power/egt's did you get after the install?

What noticable diffrences in power/egt's did you get after the install?
i just finished the install today. ran into some issues. problem was the tap-in for the map sensor not being connected when i thought it was. as for difference. i only drove two miles so far but sounds different as in more turbo whistle. as for seat of the pants. well i mounted it under the truck below where i sit so when power comes on it tickles my butt. here is a link to the install. http://www.alcohol-injection.com/forum/install-pics/install-pics-6-5-gmc-diesel-1653.html Ed

i took it for a small drive today. right now it is solely water injection. haven't put any window washer in it YET. musta been a cold engine yesterday. sounded about the same withor without power. i must have tapped the line for the pyrometer as i have that on a switch and turning the pyro off turn w/m off. will fix that tomorrow as well as install the tank float switch, picked up a LED warning light for that. of all things that went smoothest, i'd say the fuel tank from a boat was the best. paid 25.00 for it, a hose, a squezze bulb and outboard plugin, i unscrewed the motor plugin and wouldn't ya know it the piece they send to tap a tank has the same thread pattern so it was a sweet fit. and of all the vendors, i asked if a marine plastic guel tank was methanol safe or would it eat the tank from the insides out. i then googled methanol storage containers. the answer was polyethylene. i then googled outboard tank makers and asked about what type of plastic do they use. polyethylene. think about all those people who paid big bux to add the kits tank or upgrade to bigger tanks. all they had to do was buy a marine fuel tank. rant off ED

Any results with using meth yet Ed??

(Ed's a meth-head lol)

haven't had a chance to really put a load on the engine. i should say the truck hasn't towed anything to date. we will be loading up the camper, boat n' motorcycle in two weeks for a camping trip. we will be going up the famed COQUIHALLA hill. that is where i will see what it does. last time up sans wmi:devil: i had egt's upwards of 1100f where i then backed off the throttle. running around town i have also seen the egt's upwards of 900f but since i went wmi:devil: i haven't been able to get above 700f. i did dump some windshield washer in the tank but am probably only at about 3-4% mix. i will be using up that tankful and or dumping the rest into a spare tank. i will then dump some HEET into there and try and get a 10% ratio as HEET is 99% methanol according to the msds info i looked up online. heaths says never exceed 10% methanol so i'll abide by his judgement. i hope to be at 70mph at the top of that hill come two weeks this friday and will let y'all know the results in a new post.:cheers2: Ed and for those that haven't seen the load towed here is a couple pics. i dunno the weight but assume with my truck i have plenty of spare capacity.
n553908528_163127_5140.jpg

n553908528_163122_8505.jpg

Last edited:
well you need to make sure your IATs are hot enough to ensure full vaporization of the W/M, and you might be able to condense them out with a ATA intercooler post injection... although this might be a good idea... use a small and easy to install intercooler, and have WMI set-up to only trigger at a set IAT, so it would only engage when you are under severe load and need the extra cooling. that would keep your water/meth tank full longer and save you money, but give you the ultimate in cooling. Although if I had that kind of money to throw at my truck, I would be buying an A-Team turbo, which wont need an intercooler and rig a W/M to deploy on high IAT.(not my original idea, but I think it's the best option)... my .02

Are those telescoping mirrors? Can you see past your load?

Why can't you ATA and W/M?
they are clip on mirrors. i can barely see the trailer when towing. keep in mind the camper is X feet wide and the trailer is quite a bit slimmer. even with the extensions on BOTH mirrors i can only see the trailer out of the drivers mirror unless i round a corner then can see the passenger side as well. never had a law problem there as i can see way back on both sides just can't always see the trailer, and there is nothing wrong with going wmi and ata, just have the wmi near the intake. if you plumb in before the ata you risk water pooling at the bottom of it. Ed

Last edited:
Back