• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Water Injection Install

Non Typical

Roller of the Smoke
Reaction score
So I finally got a W/M setup. I ordered the unit from Cooling Mist off E-bay. Total cost to my door with taxes and shipping was $420 Canadian.

The kit comes with two nozzles and a digital controller. A similar kit from Snow was quoted to me at a price of $2000. Big difference in price here.

The controller handles up to 80 PSI and can be configured to run of individually MAF, TPS, Boost, EGT, or a combination of them. I'm still figuring out how to combine the EGT's and Boost.

There are two little knobs that control activation and peak pressure. Default setting on the controller is boost activation.

The pump comes set at a maximum of 250PSI and can be adjusted down to 100. Two nozzles come with the kit. A 380CC and a 760CC.

I have everything wired, just don't have the controller actually mounted nicely. Total install time was under two hours.

Using the 760CC nozzle and the pump at 250PSI, the windshield reservoir is way to small. I can go through it in 30 minutes of hard driving with low actuation settings.

I am running blue windshield fluid containt Methyl Alcohol. I have been told that is the same as plain Methanol. I bought a gallon of pure methanol for $7.50. I am thinking a 10-15% Methanol to 90/85% water mix.

Now for roadtesting.

Before this when I wound the speedometer, (140KMH), the truck would hit closer to 1100degrees. Did a few runs like this. The highest I pulled was slightly over 900 degrees. So around a 200 degree drop under WOT. I had in in 4th for close to 20 seconds without it going over 1000 degrees.
Around town driving, the cooling difference isn't really noticeable, as boost actuation is needed. Once I get it set up for EGT's, it will engage at low boost, high egts.

Overall I am really happy with this. I am scheduling an hour on a local dyno in the next few weeks to find the sweet spot. Power difference with the 380 nozzle isn't great. With the 760 in, the difference is very noticeable once boost levels build.

Sounds great. I built my own in '80 to keep my IH Scout from exploding on the uphills in Baja, Mexico. Experimented with many setups; nozzles, spray placement, multi stage spray, etc. I STRONGLY recomend using only distilled water. As far as Alky, tried Ethanol (real moonshine), Methanol, and some other chemicals we had in the wharehouse. I finally settled on rubbing alcohol from the drug store, 70% or higher, whatever was on sale. The bottles are easy to carry in the rig, and easily available. Stay away from the colored stuff, IMO.
Normal mix was 60 H20/ 40 alky.
Enjoy.

I would not worry too much about combining the EGT and Boost.

When the boost is down in the 4-5 PSI range the heat wont be very much.
Once you get into the 8-14 PSI range the dragon will really start breathing fire.

With the squirter set to opperate only in the higher boost ranges, you will conserve on the coolant admixture.

As long as your EGT's cruising are down in the 400-600 range there is really no point in dumping the water mix into the thing.

MGW

Sounds good, I just about have my own built setup done, along with propane (again my own setup). I'm hoping they compliment eachother pretty well.

What pressure are you actually running at? Do you have a gauge on the system to read it?

I think that water will add power and economy, so a good reason to squirt it even when not needing it to control EGTs, but you dont need as much, which is why that progressive system is so nice.

With the 760 in, the difference is very noticeable once boost levels build.

your butt must be much more sensitive than mine. I noticed no appreciable difference in power when I used methanol. mind you I used gas line antifreeze which according to the msds was 99% methanol. I also read on heaths web site once that he advises no more than a 10% meth - 90% water. and as others have mentioned no use in having squirt on with low boost as the turbo won't be hot. it's when the foot is in it and towing a load where you'll want it coming on, especially when climbing hills. even running straight water i find it cools very well. it allows one to keep their foot on the throttle more and for longer duration. now if I can just get the wife to approve an intercooler:mad2: Ed

Ed, I was actually thinking of your comment when I took the first run, lol.

I am using Pure Methanol. The container lists it at 99.9 % anyway. I am trying to keep it around the 10% mark as I had read that too.

Spraying water while cruising would be nice, which is where the controller would be nice as I could set it to engage very lightly. I don't have the flow sensor, that's another $130. :rolleyes5: Probably will get it eventually.

Like Robyn said though, the need to spray isn't there at lower boost levels. Still, I am impressed with the lower EGT controls.

Buddy, how are you building your propane system? Do you have a controller?

what are you using for a container. i picked up a plastic marine 5 gallon fuel tank.
WaterMethInjectionInstall012.jpg
[/IMG]
WaterMethInjectionInstall013.jpg
[/IMG]

right now i am using the windshield washer fluid tank. like i said, it doesn't last very long, lol. I am thinking of maybe building my own tank that would sit flush inside the box wall and extend up and over the wheel well. I am thinking closer to 10 gallons would be nice.

what are you using for a container. i picked up a plastic marine 5 gallon fuel tank.
WaterMethInjectionInstall012.jpg
[/IMG]
WaterMethInjectionInstall013.jpg
[/IMG]

From the pics, I'm guessing the marine tank includes a fluid level gauge? Maybe operated by a little float on a spiral, connected to the gauge readout?

Thanks much for sharing the pics. Looks like a well thought out, cost-effective tank.

Thanks to both of you for sharing. I'm also curious about the improved fuel economy claims that are often seen in the water inj kit maker's claims.

I've used water injection (& misting over the I/C core) to lower intake air temps & push the boost/detonation threshold higher in 25-35 psi boosted turbo gassers. Those experiences proved the concepts to me firsthand, so I find it easy to believe a well thought out water inj system can help us control/limit EGT's in our diesels.

It's the fuel economy improvement claims that I haven't heard a lot of independent confirmation of, from enthusiasts running the systems. I've no pre-conceved notion either way. Just would like to hear more end-user experiences that aren't related to product marketing efforts.

Regardless of any possible fuel economy gains, the lowering IAT's/EGT's benefits are probably enough to convince me to try this on my 6.5.

I would definitely recommend a W/I setup for anyone modding their 6.5 up that is looking to keep it cooler. The extra power is a bonus. As to whether I will get noticeable MPG improvements, I have to keep in mind that I am paying extra for methanol. I could just run water with a really good filter, and that would be free, but right now I like the extra boost.

I haven't noticed a major increase in tank level longevity :D , but then my right foot has been making continued contact with the floor while using the pedal to cushion the impact. I am wondering what difference I will get cruising on the highway with just a light water only spray going on. Hopefully we can check that out soon.

yup it does have a float gauge however it works fine for fuel but with water, can you say RUST. i fixed that problem fast by removing pieces that RUST. i put in a little electric float system and LED light so it gives me a lot of leeway to know when I am running low. Ed

If you have the money, a fuel cell works nice. That is what I was going to use. it looked nice too. They have foam in them to keep from sloshing and a fuel gauge sender plus already plumbed with fittings and was about them same price as the water tanks that devils own sells and those have to be plumbed.

Summit & others sell fuel cell foam as a separate item also. So if you find a tank configuration you can get the foam into, that's another way to gain the anti-slosh benefit.

I've got a typical sized crossbed toolbox in my truck bed & figured inside might be a clean (& lockable) install location for a tank.

Back