• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Wastegate question for the pros

mohawkmike82

Reaction score
OK guys Ive been thinking about it for a few days and this may have already been discussed or tried. I Tried searching with no luck. Ill keep it short and sweet.

Would there be any benefit to "porting" or "boring" the wastegate? I mean as far as relieving drive pressure. Or would it simply then require more spring pressure from the TM to build boost?

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure you have the function of system down pat, WG is not opened to make more boost, WG is normally closed and then opened per the PCM's program to reduce drive pressure making less boost from the compressoe, LEO is correct just a little opening of the WG lessens drive to the turbine and make dramatic drop in developed boost charge of the compressor.

The backpressure that is negative with the GM turbo is flow restrictions of the design itself of the turbo, it is an adequate turbo design for the intended use /performance as delivered by GM.

A number of us have opted for a "better turbo" for upgraded use, look at different signatures to see who's running what turbo, I'm partial to the one I run, look for threads on ATT multiple discussions on it & other turbos (mostly Holset variants) chosen.

Back