• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

want to get rid of ugly tip

huskerduramax

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2008 gmc with the lmm i want to get rid of the exhaust tip and put a new tip on that would exit out the side behind the tire, main reason for doing this is because i pull a snowmobile and want to use my rock guard that slips over my reciever hitch any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

well the problem is that the tip is specifically designed to make the exhaust exit nearly straight back and also provide cooling.

If you were to just hack it off and put some other tip on it, you might end up burning the paint off of the car next to you while in regen mode.

There are filter back exhausts that exit more to the side then back.

Buy a turbo back exhaust and scrap the DPF then you don't have to worry about a thing...I am truly debating going to the dark side and buying a LMM after i drove an Uncorked one....its insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I talked to the local dealer here about it cuz I am about to turn to the Dark Side and they said keep my factory exhaust and there won't be an issue. They said it actually runs better with all the Bull TISH on there. If there is ever an issue that needs me to have it in tact, I just have to re-install everything

my deaker also tells me to just keep the stock system as long as your straight up with them they shouldnt care, and could someone explain what a regen mode is i here people talk about them on the lmm's with the dpf but what exactly is it?

Regen mode is when the engine burns off the soot.

The soot doesnt go into the DPF immediately, it goes into the oxidation catalyst, then in regen mode it gets burnt back into the DPF.

While in regen mode the engine injects fuel in the exhaust stroke which will flow through the turbo and be ignited downstream of the exhaust making the exhaust anywhere from 1,000-1,500*.

The engine has a preset time of how long it needs to do this so you wont be able to shut your truck off.

Thats the good ol clean air act for you.

Let me ask you this.

WHat makes more sense, 20mpg and no exhaust filter or 12mpg and a DPF. Which one is really more eco friendly.

Exactly.

My dad said hes just gonna keep buying pre-emissions Dmaxes until they come out with one that gets decent economy. So basically forever.

The soot doesnt go into the DPF immediately, it goes into the oxidation catalyst, then in regen mode it gets burnt back into the DPF.

While in regen mode the engine injects fuel in the exhaust stroke which will flow through the turbo and be ignited downstream of the exhaust making the exhaust anywhere from 1,000-1,500*.

The engine has a preset time of how long it needs to do this so you wont be able to shut your truck off.

Just thought this would be a good one to start with :D. No offense here, but you're a little off. While the truck is in regen, burning off the soot, the truck can be shut off at will. It will pick up where it left off once you start it back up. To begin a regen, the truck needs to be over 30mph, it starts the regen and continues until it's finished. It's not that big of a hindrance, and is barely noticeable.

The only way I can tell I'm in regen is the 800 RPM idle instead of the regular 600-650.

:) BTW - Hello all.

Thats the good ol clean air act for you.

Let me ask you this.

WHat makes more sense, 20mpg and no exhaust filter or 12mpg and a DPF. Which one is really more eco friendly.

Also... I want to make it completely known that I DO NOT like the idea of the DPF and am in no way trying to defend it: only trying to get conceptions of it straight.

20mpg no exhaust filter is nice with no DPF, no question about it. With the DPF, it drops the MPG's to about 12 once per tank for a very short period of time (maybe 20 minutes on a bad day). It doesn't affect the overall mileage as much as a lot of people think. :D

I never notice when it is in regen except the odor. My mileage pretty much sucks anyway. 13.8 no matter the conditions.

You can do this if you just hate it.

DSC02633.jpg

DSC02634.jpg

DSC02639.jpg

DSC02637.jpg

My brother actually likes the tip so he kept it and painted it flat black to match his wheels. He also cut out the DPF, cat and muffler. If it were my truck I would buy a complete exhaust and keep the entire stocker in the corner ready to bolt back up for dealer visits.

Just a reminder, if you take it off, make sure your programmer will kill the code or you will be in limp mode when it searches for the DPF. I've had to tune a couple LMMs with EFI Live already to take care of this.

Ed

Hi I have a 2008 gmc with the lmm i want to get rid of the exhaust tip and put a new tip on that would exit out the side behind the tire, main reason for doing this is because i pull a snowmobile and want to use my rock guard that slips over my reciever hitch any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

Get some salt shields for the trailer, they work wonderfully.;)

Ditch the DPF!!! I have 5" turbo back and my truck runs like a champ. Sounds sweet, and can smoke like a diesel should. PPE takes care of all the codes.

You are mostly correct. One thing that you are wrong on is that you can shut off your engine any time you would like to, even during a regen cycle. The time it takes to do a regen is about 20 minutes and you should be traveling at least 30 MPH. If you do not meet these guidelines, it will simply go into regen when you start up again.

Another thing that I find hard to believe is that LMM owners are only getting 12 MPG. I have had mine for 15 months, 36000 miles and average 19 MPG for all around driving. I average 350 miles per week just commuting to work, a combination of city and highway miles. Around town only, I will average about 15.5 MPG and on the highway at 70-75 MPH, I can get a consistant 21.5-22 MPG.

Yes, my '03 D/A di a little better on fuel, but with my LMM and the Edge Juice with Attitude, I would eat up the '03 on the track.

Back