• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Wakeboarding

ColbyColorado04

Dmaxlbz06
Reaction score
Well after quite a bit of intrest in trying and failing last year, do to a very small board I went out and bought one tonight. Got a 142cm Body Glove brand board for a pretty good deal. Its very nice construction compared to some I've seen. Ill be trying it out this next weekend. So my ? is for those of you that have done it before. Whats the best method for getting up. How much throttle as a driver do you need. Whats the best way to start with your board. I kinda have an idea now but would like to hear some others.

Thanks in advance

Well after quite a bit of intrest in trying and failing last year, do to a very small board I went out and bought one tonight. Got a 142cm Body Glove brand board for a pretty good deal. Its very nice construction compared to some I've seen. Ill be trying it out this next weekend. So my ? is for those of you that have done it before. Whats the best method for getting up. How much throttle as a driver do you need. Whats the best way to start with your board. I kinda have an idea now but would like to hear some others.

Thanks in advance

In My former life I was a fish. I was on the ISU ski team running wakeboard in the freestyle competion. On a questionably small boat the driver should go WFO on command from the skier. My best coaching has been this: Prior to going, jump and make a surfing pose. Whichever foot you naturally put forward should be the one you plan to lead with. Sit down on the dock, have someone grab your hand and pull you to your feet. That is the EXACT motion needed to get up on the water. When you're in the water have your knees slightly bent, board sitting perpendicular to the boat, toes and topside of the board sticking out of the water, arms wrapped around them (elbows next to knees) rope down the middle and Hammer down. Once you feel the board getting slick on the water pull the front foot forward (the surfing pose). Then you feel it out and it gets addictive from there.

In My former life I was a fish. I was on the ISU ski team running wakeboard in the freestyle competion. On a questionably small boat the driver should go WFO on command from the skier. My best coaching has been this: Prior to going, jump and make a surfing pose. Whichever foot you naturally put forward should be the one you plan to lead with. Sit down on the dock, have someone grab your hand and pull you to your feet. That is the EXACT motion needed to get up on the water. When you're in the water have your knees slightly bent, board sitting perpendicular to the boat, toes and topside of the board sticking out of the water, arms wrapped around them (elbows next to knees) rope down the middle and Hammer down. Once you feel the board getting slick on the water pull the front foot forward (the surfing pose). Then you feel it out and it gets addictive from there.

Darn good over the internet instructions right there. And x2 on anything with less than a v8 boat to just nail it. Once you do it once it will be easy, but I have seen people get up right away and others that take a while. My dad used to always tell us to "let the boat do the work". HAVE FUN and it will all come to you.

When I was learning My friend told me when the board is just getting on top of the water let go with your back hand and the board will straiten out. By dropping the back hand your not pulling across your body. I have been a water skier since I was 12, so this standing sideways thing was new to me. I am still fighting it, I guess I'm just getting old...

It's fairly hard to explain, but once you figure it out you'll be amazed at how esay it is.

very good instructyions right there. i found it very hard to do. water skiing no prob wake boading is a very different storry and i have been snowboarding for close to 15 yrs now. you need a relativiely stong upper body and hands so you dont loose the rope. follow the above instructions and after about an hour and a full stomoch of water you should be getting up like its nothing.

Here are some more tips...

To get up:
1. Pull your knees to your chest.
2. Wrap your arms around your knees.
3. Let the boat do the work. You should not have to work to get up.
4. Depends on what kind of boat, but you should not have to go to WOT to get up. A good driver helps greatly on getting up. Try to find someone that knows what they are doing.
5. After the boat starts wait a couple of seconds before you try to stand. Men are the hardest to teach because they want to stand up immediatly. You got to get some water pressure built up first.
6. Don't let go with your back hand, See # 1 Below. Pull the rope to the hip that will be in front. (General rule: Kick a ball with your right foot, left foot goes forward and vice versa)

Staying up.
1. Keep your arms straight. DO NOT PULL ON THE ROPE! If you pull on the rope, you can not make small adjustments required to keep your balance.

2. Both palms should be facing down. Put a small amount of pressure on your plams so that the pull from the rope is coming from your center of gravity (hips).

3. Bend your knees slightly to absorb boat wakes etc.

4. It is likely that you will take off over the left wake (port). Go with it until you figure things out.

5. Relax. Overcorrecting is the biggest mistake I see.

:cheers2: and welcome to a highly addictive sport!

Boating etiquitte:

1. When a rider falls do not do a power turn. Take the boat to idle and turn within your wake. This will lessen the impact of your wake on yourself and others and it is safer to get back around to the fallen rider.

2. Drive a straight line. Again is safer, will minimize the wake on others, and will result in a better pull for the rider.

Here are some more tips...

To get up:
1. Pull your knees to your chest.
2. Wrap your arms around your knees.
3. Let the boat do the work. You should not have to work to get up.
4. Depends on what kind of boat, but you should not have to go to WOT to get up. A good driver helps greatly on getting up. Try to find someone that knows what they are doing.
5. After the boat starts wait a couple of seconds before you try to stand. Men are the hardest to teach because they want to stand up immediatly. You got to get some water pressure built up first.
6. Don't let go with your back hand, See # 1 Below. Pull the rope to the hip that will be in front. (General rule: Kick a ball with your right foot, left foot goes forward and vice versa)

Staying up.
1. Keep your arms straight. DO NOT PULL ON THE ROPE! If you pull on the rope, you can not make small adjustments required to keep your balance.

2. Both palms should be facing down. Put a small amount of pressure on your plams so that the pull from the rope is coming from your center of gravity (hips).

3. Bend your knees slightly to absorb boat wakes etc.

4. It is likely that you will take off over the left wake (port). Go with it until you figure things out.

5. Relax. Overcorrecting is the biggest mistake I see.

:cheers2: and welcome to a highly addictive sport!

Boating etiquitte:

1. When a rider falls do not do a power turn. Take the boat to idle and turn within your wake. This will lessen the impact of your wake on yourself and others and it is safer to get back around to the fallen rider.

2. Drive a straight line. Again is safer, will minimize the wake on others, and will result in a better pull for the rider.

The only time I suggest to drop the back hand is when the rider is on top of the water and the rope is pulling across the body causing the inexperienced rider to turn the board right outside the wake. By dropping the hand the board straitens out helping the rider with control. Mind you this does take a bit of upper body strength. I have used this technique on several riders and it worked for them and me. Again don't drop the hand until you are on top of the water, you'll need both arms to get up.

We are all pretty avid water skiers and my brother in law is over the top.So the first time we put him on a wake board was the funniest most painful thing I have seen in a while. For some reason he would stand strait up, the board would be perpendicular to the boat and then came the full on faceplant, not once but every time he tried it.

Rat trap is a good name for it! I've had harder falls like that than barefooting. Caught my heel edge once and got knocked stupid. Cat scan show I actually had a brain though which surprised my wife...

Rat trap is a good name for it! I've had harder falls like that than barefooting. Caught my heel edge once and got knocked stupid. Cat scan show I actually had a brain though which surprised my wife...

:rofl:.............This method was taught to me and I got up on my second try and at the time I was 55. .........Naturally in the water you lay on back with your toes pointing up:smash: Hold on really tight to the handle with both hands with elbows bent. Yell to the driver to "hit it" the same instant turn the board with your back foot....this will vary depending on which foot you like foward when riding........me I like my left foot forward. If you can get the driver to go right on your command and if you can get the board twisted around with the front pointing up I guarantee you will get right up. If you still have difficulty you might want to wait until you feel the slack being taken out of the rope and then immeadiately twist your back foot down. I still prefer laying down a turn on a single ski to wake boarding but I'm old :D

Last edited:
I am pumped about getting into this. We tried last year but the board we used was a small like 130ish board. and with me being 6'5 and not knowing what I was doing made it extremely hard. I tried about a dozen times in a row but we had already been out all day knee boarding, skiing, and tubing so I was pretty worn down. I got almost all the way up twice but just couldnt get all the way up. The lake we will be on is actually a family lake thats a good size but not HUGE. Im not sure sizewise but good enough to ski tube knee board without getting bored. One of the biggest obsticles we may have since its not a V8 boat is not having a tower to compinsate for pulling us out of the water. The boat we use is a 20' mastercraft ski boat with I believe a 4.3 V6. We'll see how it goes. Im trying to get out on thurs in a frieds dads boat 23' sea ray with very peppy 350 and a tower. Either way im stoked about getting into this and ready to hit the water this weekend.

Less than 10 hours and I'll be on the water. Everthing is packed up and ready to go. Leaving about 8am and be on the water at around 11. Hopefully all goes well. Im stoked

I am pumped about getting into this. We tried last year but the board we used was a small like 130ish board. and with me being 6'5 and not knowing what I was doing made it extremely hard. I tried about a dozen times in a row but we had already been out all day knee boarding, skiing, and tubing so I was pretty worn down. I got almost all the way up twice but just couldnt get all the way up. The lake we will be on is actually a family lake thats a good size but not HUGE. Im not sure sizewise but good enough to ski tube knee board without getting bored. One of the biggest obsticles we may have since its not a V8 boat is not having a tower to compinsate for pulling us out of the water. The boat we use is a 20' mastercraft ski boat with I believe a 4.3 V6. We'll see how it goes. Im trying to get out on thurs in a frieds dads boat 23' sea ray with very peppy 350 and a tower. Either way im stoked about getting into this and ready to hit the water this weekend.

My son is 6'-2'' 225lb and I have no problem pulling him out with a 3.0 in a 18' boat, once you get the hang of it it will be like riding a bike...

Less than 10 hours and I'll be on the water. Everthing is packed up and ready to go. Leaving about 8am and be on the water at around 11. Hopefully all goes well. Im stoked

I'm exited aswell! Goin to the lake saturday! Buddie just got a NICE 86 Cobalt
17' w/ 4.3, does pretty good, put a nice hydro-foil on it. I've never been behind a boat! So I'll go tube-n and switch to kneeboard after a bit! No ski's or any stand-up stuff for a bit, right ankle is fractured and i don't wanna take a chance on the other stuff yet. My only fear is me doin a face-plant when kneeboardin:crazy:

Back