• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Wait to start light?

Bigburban

Reaction score
Today my wait to start light stop working. Can still hear the glow plug relay working. Pulled the instrument cluster and swap light so light is not burned out. Anyone have a clue what else it could be? Glow plug relay going bad? Truck starts fine.

Fusible link open up to the controller? Should have 12V to it. Otherwise clean the connectors. A voltage check would be useful after the cleaning. Then have a friend kick it on and see if you get 12V on both side of the controller bolt on contacts.

Got volts? Seriously, check the two big wire lugs for 12v. A test light to ground will do.

Check for bad spot in glow plug wiring. There is a wire that goes from the glow plug circuit to the ecm and indicator light. I believe it is on the passenger side of the harness. I can check scematics when I get home tonight for wire color. Check for 12 volts to all the glow plugs. The glow plug harness is full of fusible links/wire.

Checked got power to and from the controller
No power to the drivers side glow plugs
power to the passenger side glow plugs

Ok took and put new glow plugs in on drivers side, tested the ones I took out and they worked. I think I have a bad wire or wires on the drivers side. Can I just run a new wire from the relay? Do I need a fuse for the new wire and what size if i do? What is the white round plastic piece that is about 4 inches from the output side of the glow plug controller that the wire runs through a resister? HELP!!

Checked got power to and from the controller
No power to the drivers side glow plugs
power to the passenger side glow plugs

Ok took and put new glow plugs in on drivers side, tested the ones I took out and they worked. I think I have a bad wire or wires on the drivers side. Can I just run a new wire from the relay? Do I need a fuse for the new wire and what size if i do? What is the white round plastic piece that is about 4 inches from the output side of the glow plug controller that the wire runs through a resister? HELP!!

The white plastic thing is a fusible link. If there is a overload on the curcuit it will melt to protect the harness from getting hot and starting on fire. It must be replaced with the exact same fusible link. A little ways into the glow plug wiring the wire changes to fusible wire going to each glow plug.There is a orange wire that goes back to the underhood fuse box. After the fuse box it splits. The orange wire continues through to the bulkhead connector and to the indicator lamp. The wire that splits off is dark blue. It goes to the ecm to tell it the glow plugs have power.
I'd probbly go to the dealer for the fusible link to be shure to get the correct one.

Are there any relays or fuses that it is connected to in the fuse box itself? Thanks for your help this is getting to be a challenge!

Fusible link was bad going to the drivers side glow plugs! Thanks for the help she is running like a champ now!

To answer your question though, yes there is a fuse that is between the glow controller and the WTS light. In my 94 its called Glo fuse. And the PCM knows the plugs are working by getting power through the WTS light that is grounded in the PCM. In later trucks its probably one of your ECM fuses.

I was looking at a 95 scehmatic. It showed a fuse in the underhood fuse box going to the indcator lamp and ecm.

Back