• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vortec 6.0 ? Anybody have one before?

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How do you guys like your 6.0 if you've had one? My dad is looking to purchase one to work out of instead of using his 8.1.

He will be towing with it every now and then...

the engines are strong i have no complaints other then the ****ty gas millage

The main thing i didn't like about the older ones was the transmission. They seemed to be lacking in my opinion. The new ones come with a 6spd tranny instead of the old 4l80e. Much better.:D

This will be an 03. So no 6-speed. Its just a good ol' work truck. :D

Going to look at it this week..

the ones Ive driven I liked.

Me and My buddy lined ours up the other day.

His 6.0 is the same exact truck as mine only it has the 6.0.

I ran it stock, but still had the intake exhaust and boost valve, however I doubt they did anything especially since I was trying to turn my 35s stock.

We ran neck and neck the entire time, until I got sick of running neck and neck and flipped the switch and was gone in a cloud of smoke.

Theyre good trucks. Not the greatest mpg. But gas is 60 cents cheaper anyways. Not only that, you wont get bitten by the mod. bug.

the ones Ive driven I liked.

Me and My buddy lined ours up the other day.

His 6.0 is the same exact truck as mine only it has the 6.0.

I ran it stock, but still had the intake exhaust and boost valve, however I doubt they did anything especially since I was trying to turn my 35s stock.

We ran neck and neck the entire time, until I got sick of running neck and neck and flipped the switch and was gone in a cloud of smoke.

Theyre good trucks. Not the greatest mpg. But gas is 60 cents cheaper anyways. Not only that, you wont get bitten by the mod. bug.

Good comparison..

The one is was looking at got sold this morning. Off to the sale in the morning. Maybe we can turn up with something good.

The 8.1 is a nice truck, he just wants to park it for the weekends and keep it in good shape.

Why does he not want to work out of the 8.1?

Nice and new. Don't want to mess it up on the contrustion site, etc..

The foam we spray happens to go everywhere, even on the trucks sometimes.

My 02 towed like a diesel. It was 6 liter with intake full exhaust, no cat no muffler, and a custom dyno tune. With no load it would throw you into the back seat on the shift. I towed 2 Case trenchers on 1 trailer and it did awsome, except for my cheap auto zone blocks that crushed but that another story. MPG was ****ty, glad I got the Dmax

Make sure to use HP tuners and delete the torque management...once that is gone, the 6.0 is sweet. I used to have one and my bro in law still does in his Sierra Denali.

I have an 02 2500hd with the 6.0 and have no complaints. im probably the only person who drives one that gets 18-29 highway miles, but in town is only 10-12. solid truck tho.

I got 12MPG in and out of Boston, towing 6-7MPG :mad: The thing would wind up pretty good. I didn't like that too much being an old small block mechanic the 5.7's didn't wind up that high without something being added or blowing up. I should have chipped the 6.0 and got rid of that torque managment crap. Instead I traded it and got the D/A :)

How would a guy go about gettin rid of torque managment? and wats it gonna do?

A custom tune is really the best bang for the buck on a GM Gas engine. You can basically send off to a tuning company like Westers Performance, or you can just buy EFI Live and do it yourself. Elimanting the torque management will make your truck feel 100x better. I'll be tuning my 8.1 this week along with my Duramax to achieve some better MPG's and more power.

Back