• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

volt meter questions

richard cheese

the MAIN muff hugga
Reaction score
when i start up after sitting for a few hours, the volt meter goes above 9, but not by much...sits there for about 10-20 seconds, then the dash gets brighter, as well as the headlights, and the volt meter goes up to normal levels

what the hell does this mean?

so if im am installing an onboard air system, where the compressor will kick on when the truck starts, is this going to be a problem? (compressor shouldnt come on all the time, just when the pressure in the tank is below 120 psi)

that seems like a long time. mine never does it and it is much colder here than there. if you have access to a multimeter check the output of the alt while someone else starts it. it may be going bad. a few hours isnt enough time for the battery to drop that low.

the truck starts fine....just the voltmeter is below the orange line for like 10-20 seconds, then everything brightens up.....i checked the batteries, they are both good. this is something that has been happening for awhile....im just concerned about the possible pull from the air compressor during this time, along with the hid's at night

Yup you have a big start up draw. Up here when it's cold and the glow plug and intake heater grid cycle on cold starts that's the type of draw I see.

I've seen that kind of recovery time myself with only the above mentioned. BUT I do agree that sitting ONLY for a few hours tells me either you have a impeding electrical problem or that compressor is drawing huge at start up.

Try and unplug the compressor and see if you can duplicate the issue.

Yup you have a big start up draw. Up here when it's cold and the glow plug and intake heater grid cycle on cold starts that's the type of draw I see.

I've seen that kind of recovery time myself with only the above mentioned. BUT I do agree that sitting ONLY for a few hours tells me either you have a impeding electrical problem or that compressor is drawing huge at start up.

Try and unplug the compressor and see if you can duplicate the issue.

Sitting overnight (10-15 hours) is the norm.. if it has only be a couple hours, like running errands, then it fires right up above the orange line

Sitting overnight (10-15 hours) is the norm.. if it has only be a couple hours, like running errands, then it fires right up above the orange line

Like I said there is a big draw OR you have a electrical issue. Even when it's bitching cold here IF I've ran around enough ,always the case,to get it up to full operating temp and and park for a few hours I don't see that kind of discharge and recovery.

I have my OWN issues,trying to keep my batteries fully charged. Not sure if this is relevant

Typical winter day

Start my truck after sitting in a 50 degree shop all night. Pull it outside let it idle for 15/20 mins. The glowplugs and heatergrid cycle enough to pull volts down to say 12 as oppose to operating around 14. Pretty quick recovery.

Sits outside for 8-10 hours in teens to 20 degrees all day. On restart volt meter drops like a rock and takes that 10/20+ ish recovery. Bring it in let idle about 5 mins.

Repeat repeat repeat,before I know it my truck wont start. :D

Maybe you can put the compressor on some sort of delay because like you I'm putting a lot of strain on my alternator.

Back