• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Volant CAI - 3 months later

Unit453

Cruises comfortably at 140...
Administrator
Reaction score
3 months later, I popped open the top of the box and removed the filter. I opted for the oiled filter basically, because it's cheaper by about $30 than the Dolandson. Most of these companies recommend cleaning every 10k miles. I'm barely at 2k miles since installation and it appears filthy. The filter that was initially blue, is now white. So, obviously, the oil dried up. I'm wondering how effective this filter is at this point dried up. These are designed to be oiled, as the oil is whats catching the small particles.

I dont know if the access dirt is related to the scoop or not but I would assume it is. The inner pleats are absolutely caked with crap.

I can see myself getting a replacement AFE or S&B filter to drop in this box here in the near future.

The inside of the air box was clean as was the tube leading to the throttle body. There was no oil residue or dirt inside the tube, which tells me the filter is working at least.

This is 2000 miles and a little less than 3 months of driving. I installed this intake August 2nd.

Attachments

• HPIM2026.jpg
    HPIM2026.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 3
  • HPIM2027.jpg
    HPIM2027.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 3
  • HPIM2028.jpg
    HPIM2028.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 3
  • HPIM2029.jpg
    HPIM2029.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2
  • HPIM2030.jpg
    HPIM2030.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 2
Wow. I wonder if all the heat down there dries out the filter prematurely. Maybe give them a call and see what they say? There is a fine line between just the right amount of oil, and too much. I know that you have a lot more experience with these than I do. But it does look as if it is working pretty good!

It's working but I dont think the oil is supposed to dry up. The oil is what catches the small particles so, I'm inclined to think that the filter is now inefficient.

Also, I dont know if it really gets hot enough. I realize this is a sealed intake and I know its gonna get hot inside but when the car's moving, air is flowing. I dont know. Maybe I'll call Volant and see what they say.

Back