• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vin code and year summary

scottm

Reaction score
Is there a concise summary of the strengths and weaknesses of the various engine codes and years? For example just based on what I can remember and probably mostly wrong, something like this..

VIN J: 82-93 6.2 NA heavy duty 3/4-1 ton, plus military. Advantages - good flowing non egr intake, non cat

VIN F: 92-01 6.5 turbo, HD 3/4-1 ton. Non egr, non cat

VIN S: 92- ? 6.5 turbo, light duty 1500 trucks. Have egr, cats, etc.

VIN C: Urban legend?

VIN P: ?-? 6.5 turbo van, center mounted turbo, 60° intake manifold bolts.

82-83: 6.2 na, mech ip, larger valves, 'red' block xyz

84-91: 6.2 na, mech ip, block ?

92-93: 6.5 turbo, mech ip, block 506, arguably the most reliable overall and best block.

94-96: 6.5 turbo, electronic ds4 ip, block ?

97-01: 6.5 turbo, ds4 ip, 599 bock with 10mm outer main studs, piston oilers, hi vol oil pump, hi flow water pump, dual t-stat housing. Least reliable block and heads?

Come to think of it, maybe it would be better to combine the codes into the year range, something like this:

82-91: 6.2 na, code ? 1/2 ton, egr; code J 3/4-1 ton, non egr civilian; code ? van; code ? military
92-93: 6.5 code a; code b; code c, etc
94-01: 6.5 code bla bla bla

Or if there isn't anything like it, maybe help me build up this idea into the useful list I am looking for?

Is there a concise summary of the strengths and weaknesses of the various engine codes and years? For example just based on what I can remember and probably mostly wrong, something like this..

92-93: 6.5 turbo, mech ip, block 506, arguably the most reliable overall and best block.

94-96: 6.5 turbo, electronic ds4 ip, block ?

97-01: 6.5 turbo, ds4 ip, 599 bock with 10mm outer main studs, piston oilers, hi vol oil pump, hi flow water pump, dual t-stat housing. Least reliable block and heads?

92-94 or 95, had 599 and IMO was the best GM block.

94-2000 has DS4 IP.

97-2000 did'int have a 599.

Back