• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Video card help

Unit453

Cruises comfortably at 140...
Administrator
Reaction score
I currently use a Nvida 256 mb PCI card. I'm looking for websites that offer good prices for these if anyone knows one. I've shopped around but when I'm ready to buy, I'd like to be able to have a site to go to.

I need a PCI card, not a PCI Express.

Its gotta be at least 512 but I'm looking for 1 gig.

Anyone have any ideas, please let me know.

Nick, from the pics you posted earlier I noticed that your motherboard has an unused AGP slot, are you opposed to running an AGP card? If you were to post the model number of your motherboard I'm sure there are a few of us here who could point you to a compatible AGP card.

Havent been home much nor have I had time to do any research. I do have an unused APG slot but I really have no idea what else I would need to put in there to make that compatible.

Thanks for the links...

Havent been home much nor have I had time to do any research. I do have an unused APG slot but I really have no idea what else I would need to put in there to make that compatible.

Thanks for the links...

Sooo...if you were to find a manufactured & model number we could find something that fit.:thumbsup::D It's a red board, first manufacturer that comes to mind is MSI (Microstar Computer). I am going to suggest looking between the PCI slots that currently hold your sound card and video card.

Cool, that helps. From what I gather on Abit's webpage, any AGP card that is compatible with AGP 3.0 is good to go. Here is the rub though, I can't find a card with 1GB of RAM.

Here are 12 AGP cards that fit the bill. I like to read the customer reviews and find one that someone has installed on a board like mine. If you really want 1GB of RAM, then you're looking at that card that Pepp posted.

Thanks everyone.

Mom actually sent me down a Nvidia GeForce 512 MB 8400 GS in a package for Christmas. I didnt expect it but she musta wrote it down.

I got my screen resolutions down now but it wont run COD World at War. I loaded it up and got a low virtual memory warning, whatever that means. This thing is twice the size of the one I took out so I expected it to run flawlessly. Not the case.

Not sure what to do at this point.

You need to set your system Virtual Memory usage to at least 600 MB. Mine is set to 768 MB.

- Right click the My Computer icon.
- Select Properties.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Select Performance Settings.
- Select Virtual memory
- Check to see what you have for a system setting. Change if required.

Try that.

Thanks everyone.

Mom actually sent me down a Nvidia GeForce 512 MB 8400 GS in a package for Christmas. I didnt expect it but she musta wrote it down.

I got my screen resolutions down now but it wont run COD World at War. I loaded it up and got a low virtual memory warning, whatever that means. This thing is twice the size of the one I took out so I expected it to run flawlessly. Not the case.

Not sure what to do at this point.

You need to set your system Virtual Memory usage to at least 600 MB. Mine is set to 768 MB.

- Right click the My Computer icon.
- Select Properties.
- Select Performance Settings.
- Select Virtual memory
- Check to see what you have for a system setting. Change if required.

Try that.

Try that and see but you may want to increase your ram....if you are running XP 2GB is pretty good, Vista 32 bit 3GB is all it will accept. I would run max memory

On edit: I am buying it for me and my grandson.....Just bought it today, the xBox360 version and the pc version....have to wait until Christmas to get it......

Last edited:
Thanks Jim. Its already set to 768. Should I change it or leave it alone? I assume 768 is the default?

Back