• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Verdict is in, 6.5 n/a pump on a 6.2 n/a works fine.

turbovanman

I has boost, :O)
Reaction score
Just finished putting on a 6.5 n/a military spec pump, #DB2 831-5209. I also put brand new Delphi injectors in and advanced the pump 2 deg's, didn't touch the pump adjustment.

Smoked like a mofo for a few hours, it did sit for over a year, power is awesome, its got alot of snap whereas before, it was soggy but that could have been the IP going out. Hills, off the line are no problem now, it will even rev out more, :thumbsup:

I did notice more smoke just off the line, and mid to wot BUT I just did my smog test, where they do a drive cycle, start off at idle, accel to around 25 mph, then to 40, slow down, cruise a bit then hammer it to 55 mph, it fast passed, meaning the test is usually around 2 min's, fast passed cut off is around 40 sec's. Reading was 6.99%, max allowed is 30% opacity. :thumbsup: My last setup with a proper working 6.2 pump not turned up was 21% and old injectors, mileage now is only 140,000 km's.

I'll report back with MPG numbers after a few tanks. I also have to tow my enclosed trailer soon so we'll see how that goes, she didn't like towing that on the highway, :sad:

This should now be perfectly set for a turbo, woot, ):h

3.08 gears and pulling on the highway are a no-no.

Glad to hear the engine is performing well, most n/a 6.5 pumps are set for 170 HP. As long as you've increased the airflow to the engine it should be fine. The only disadvantage is MOST 6.5n/a pumps are set at 3600 RPM shutoff, which doesn't jive well with the TH700R4's WOT upshift governor at 3800 RPM (will fell like it's hanging and not upshifting properly). For this the governor in the INJECTION PUMP has to be modified/adjusted. The 6.2 governor is set at a high RPM shutoff of 4100, and sometimes 4300.

3.08 gears and pulling on the highway are a no-no.

Glad to hear the engine is performing well, most n/a 6.5 pumps are set for 170 HP. As long as you've increased the airflow to the engine it should be fine. The only disadvantage is MOST 6.5n/a pumps are set at 3600 RPM shutoff, which doesn't jive well with the TH700R4's WOT upshift governor at 3800 RPM (will fell like it's hanging and not upshifting properly). For this the governor in the INJECTION PUMP has to be modified/adjusted.

I know, see my sig for list of mods and future upgrades, :thumbsup:

MPG update!

Went thru my first tank, I do aprox 90% city and 10% highway, lots of idling this time due to me blowing a heater core. Looks like I averaged 18.2 mpg, which is slightly better than the old setup.

Thanks for the info van man! -

You ever get any parts for your turbo van from Cindy at FWD Perf? Her shop is close to me, I have gotten a few things from her for a turbo 2 Lebaron.

Thanks for the info van man! -

You ever get any parts for your turbo van from Cindy at FWD Perf? Her shop is close to me, I have gotten a few things from her for a turbo 2 Lebaron.

Yep, I get some parts from her and she gets some from me, :thumbsup:

I am going to post up some vids later, me running the mid 12's and also racing my friends 92 ish Toyota PU with a Supra 1J swap with 450 whp, :thumbsup:

Guess who won? ):h

Another tank gone thru, tons of idling as it was around freezing, 2 weeks of sub zero temps, still same driving style, 17.2 mpg. :thumbsup:

Back