• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Valve stem seals?

Ratkilr

Reaction score
Hello again. I have a question about valve seals on the 6.5. I have pulled apart 2 different motors now one being a 97 turbo and a 99 military non turbo. The 97 heads had valve seals only on the intake side not on the exhaust. The 99 non turbo had none at all? Anybody local doesn't have a clue to if they should have the seals on both intake and exhaust? Or just intake? Or non at all seeing it was a military motor? Does it make a difference that one has a turbo and the other doesn't? I have only found one Local diesel shop that will even talk about a 6.5. And they don't have a clue on ether. If anyone has an answer to this question I would greatly appreciate it!

I just disassembled two 6.5 heads ,and they were just on the exhaust valves. I have at least 6 more heads that are like that. Just make sure you don't forget the orings on the valves without seals .

I have the tool & rent it, to cut the seal boss to the common .530" seals most all other motors use. every head I build I cut both intake & exhaust boss and install seals on both... My web site shows the part number for the 2 size seals needed also.
That is some good information.
The Teflon stem seal cant be beat.

Yea you can run with just the orings. This way the valve stems get oiled better.

Back