• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

valve cover gasket sealant?

Pillow

Recruit
Reaction score
Newbie question... But what are you all using for valve cover gasket sealant, if any?

Dry?

RTV Silicone? (yuck,this is usually not appropriate, but yet see it all the time)

Permatex Aviation?

FWIW I have it all on the shelf in the workshop, but not sure as to what is prefered for a 6.5! In this case 6.2.

Thanks!

VCs from the factory don't use any gasket just some sealant similar to "the right stuff" kind of a silicone

Almost impossible to keep the cork gaskets from leaking. I have had the best luck with RTV. The TQ on cork is really low and the steal covers bend. So RTV also prevents the bending around the bolts.

Weld them on :kidding:

Next time around I'll be using "Goop" Thats the best all purpose adhesive I know of. Make sure both surfaces are oil free.

interesting!!!

I pulled two covers and you all are right, one was black RTV and the other cork gasket.

In that case I will just use black RTV and clamp it down :)

Thanks!!!!

What is GOOP? The last time I used GOOP it was hand cleaner.

Most box hardware stores/walmart/auto parts stores will have it. Its an all pupose sealant. Ive used it on oil pans. It cleans up excellent also, if you can grab a piece of it and pull real hard most of it will come off with a snap. I swear by the stuff and have used it for many years on plumbing. Also when you open the tube and don't use all of it you can come back months later and use more out of the tube. Cant say that about any silicone tube.
About $4.00 a tube.

Forgot to say they market it in different packaging. One might say Plumbing or Automotive or Marine...ect but Ive used it all (whatever is cheapest) and think they are all the same product in different packaging.

LOL I feel de-masculinated now :(

... I'm more comfortable in Florida weather :) If it were up to me I would have moved to Tampa years ago! The wife seems to enjoy "seasons", I like to visit "seasons".

It's lots of fun laying on ice or snow when it's -35 to make a repair weld under a piece of machinery. Thankfully it doesn't happen often.

Back