• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Valve Cover gasket(or no gasket) on 6.5

Problem Child

Non Diesel mechanic
Reaction score
The valve covers are leaking on my 6.5 and since I'm in the process of installing new injectors I figured this is a good time to tackle the valve covers too.My question is...will the injector lines flex enough to get the covers off or would it be easier to pull the intake and completely remove the injector lines to get the covers off??

Remove the intake and the entire line. You have to remember even if you get the front of the cover over the rocker arms, the back edge will catch on the rear arms. Not only that, flexing thoes injector lines is never a good idea. It isn't worth the heartache of jamming up a brand new injector. Anyhow, enjoy your day on the truck. Hope the weather is nice by you.

Injector lines must come off."The Right Stuff " rtv works great but you have to work fast. I usually use Ultra black rtv. Gaskets seem to start leaking much sooner because the valve covers are such light gauge material.

Injector lines must come off."The Right Stuff " rtv works great but you have to work fast. I usually use Ultra black rtv. Gaskets seem to start leaking much sooner because the valve covers are such light gauge material.

The RIGHT STUFF only works so good u will have a hard time not bending the covers if u have to ever take them off again. I did one side cork gasket and one side "THE RIGHT STUFF" and am now removing the cork side to do it again with the "RIGHT STUFF" must work fast tho and have everything clear and clean. works great!!!

Been doing my valve covers over the past two weekends.
“The Right Stuff” or “Ultra Black” is the only way to go on valve covers but if you have to remove them you might as well buy new ones. I learned that the hard way. Cork gaskets are pretty much a guaranteed leak. I like “Ultra Black“ because you don’t have to be in a hurry to tighten the covers down.

Back