• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Upper Control Arms two way's to install??

Hydrauk

Hydrauk
Reaction score
Hello to All!! So here we go..1997 GMC K3500 4X4.

I decided it was time to replace the front end, WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!! I mean really!! Ok give ya heads up, I replaced or HAD to Replace the Following...ready??..Upper and Lower Ball joints, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Inner and Outer Tie rod ends, Pitman Arm, Idler Arm, Shocks, Sway Bar bushings, Sway bar End links, Wheel bearing Hubs,Hub to steering knuckle bolts, ABS Sensors, Rotors, Calipers, All bolts that hold Hub to Rotor, Upper and Lower Shock bolts.

EVERY freaking bolt either "Snapped" Or "Stripped"...I am careful...I have a Oxy/Acy torch, Good Impact with Good Air Supply, And Good Sockets and Wrenches. Let me say "NIGHTMARE" again!! This was a New Hampshire truck that I guess was NEVER serviced. It was and still is kicking my ASS!! Put it this way...a 3/8 bolt had so much encrusted rust,....hit it good with a hammer...now your 3/8 bolt is like 5/16...UN REAL!!

So...I have got past all that rust shit. I cleaned up all rust with chipping hammer, and even painted the frame and associated areas with paint, Gloss Black. It looks good...actually happy.

Here is a weird problem.....After I pulled the Upper Control arms out, and removed those STUPID riveted...I mean Stupid "RIVETED" Ball joints, I decided to sand and paint the Control arms. So now I have these.. pretty control arms with new bushings. Great...right?

OK...these damn control arms can be installed "Either" way. YES I know about the Right and Left side. BUT since I sanded them and painted them, I know longer have markings except for the part number. I am afraid of mounting them Upside down. MUCH IMPORTANT QUESTION....When you install the arms...Part number, Down or up?? I am at a TOTAL loss.....

Having a rough day...

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any dang info...

David D.

Sold my 4x4 a couple years ago so can't help with the CA's. Its a bad enough job without the rust issue. It feels good when you get it done though. What brand parts you go back with?

Hello Burning Oil! Thanks for the reply!

Man you hit it right on the nose, regarding "feels good when you get it done".....It's all starting to come back together now, nice clean freshly painted frame, I have cleaned all the usable bolts, and painted the associated parts as well. From the Calipers to the Hubs...all is new and painted. Hell...I even de-mounted the front tires...sanded and painted the rims, ring, and lug nuts. I bought two new front tires as well (Firestone HT). Might as well....seeing that almost the entire front end is replaced. I didn't want to take the chance of a possible bad tire ruining the job.

The Hubs, Hub mounting Bolts, and the ABS Sensors are all GM OEM. I did not want "Aftermarket" Wheel bearings!! The rest of the parts are a mix of Nappa and Autozone. I was amazed at the quality of some of the aftermarket parts....solid and well forged...etc..

How is Houston these day's...already getting hot I see. Currently up in Connecticut...but I do Miss Texas ALOT. I live in Clearlake when I am down there. Next time I am down, we could meet up for a few beers.

I am still wondering about the control arms....It is strange indeed.

Take care man

David D.

Rust belt truck.

Smoke wrench is the best tool to get them apart.

If not the smoke wrench, air hammer or angle grinder.

I seldom even bother to salvage nuts and bolt if they even look "wasted down".

Just cut 'em off and go new.

Part of the "privilege" of living in the rust belt......:rolleyes5:

OEM ball joints get the angle grinder and the air hammer. Slows me down about 2 minutes. Even teh replacement bolt on ball joints get the angle grinder with me.

No foolin' around here....cut it, chuck it, move on....

Rust belt trucks.

Unghh.

Only 4 tools needed to work on 'em: smoke wrench, air hammer, angle grinder and a welder.....

Rust belt truck.

Smoke wrench is the best tool to get them apart.

If not the smoke wrench, air hammer or angle grinder.

I seldom even bother to salvage nuts and bolt if they even look "wasted down".

Just cut 'em off and go new.

Part of the "privilege" of living in the rust belt......:rolleyes5:

OEM ball joints get the angle grinder and the air hammer. Slows me down about 2 minutes. Even teh replacement bolt on ball joints get the angle grinder with me.

No foolin' around here....cut it, chuck it, move on....

Rust belt trucks.

Unghh.

Only 4 tools needed to work on 'em: smoke wrench, air hammer, angle grinder and a welder.....

ROGER THAT "RustBelt"......LMAO!!!
:) David D.

Hello Burning Oil! Thanks for the reply!

How is Houston these day's...already getting hot I see. Currently up in Connecticut...but I do Miss Texas ALOT. I live in Clearlake when I am down there. Next time I am down, we could meet up for a few beers.

I am still wondering about the control arms....It is strange indeed.

Take care man

David D.

Weather has been really nice. Going to get lot of rain later today and they are talking of more tornados up through OK...
Im in League City so very close to Clear Lake. Maybe try to do a GTG for the TX boys?

My 1500 was factory stamped L and R. Also the upper ball joint should end up farther rearward than the lower. The 2500 and 3500 upper ball joints mount under the control arm,1500's mount on top. You should be able to tell right side up by the balljoint angle.

Weather has been really nice. Going to get lot of rain later today and they are talking of more tornados up through OK...
Im in League City so very close to Clear Lake. Maybe try to do a GTG for the TX boys?

Actually I do live in League City as well. South Kansas Ave. Small world. I just say Clearlake...most people know it better.

Well glad you are getting that rain...better than last year...can we not forget HOT...NO RAIN...

I used to hang out at Mixed Nuts, Vito's, Beer Garden, Both Hooters...etc..etc..Sometimes I went to Cock Eyed Seagull...had some good times there man...whew!!

I sure do miss it down there, especially that area.

My 1500 was factory stamped L and R. Also the upper ball joint should end up farther rearward than the lower. The 2500 and 3500 upper ball joints mount under the control arm,1500's mount on top. You should be able to tell right side up by the balljoint angle.

Hey Thank you for that info!! Great! I will check it out.

So YOU know apparently what I am going through, These control arms fit into the frame mounts either way....I did not put ball joints on, but I will now, this may solve the issue. Huh......:WTF: :thumbsup:

These help any?

View attachment 32950

View attachment 32951

That's from a K3500.

Don't quote me on it, but I seem to recall the rear part of the arm had a bit more "swoop" inwards on my 98 K2500....

Thanks brother...I will check in the AM. Such A simple thing...but yet...kicks my ass. Thanks for taking the time to post photo's. I really appreciate it.

Cheers!
David

Hey Fellas...Once again..."Thanks" for the response. The Description from 6.2 and the photo's from Great White really helped out alot.

It was correct that the arm did indeed swoop Inward or toward the rear. So in hence the Part number is ON TOP of the control arm. I put them in today as well as the Steering Knuckle.

FINALLY!! All looks good and tight. I will Post Photo's later this week, so hopefully someone out there who runs into this strange situation, can do it without worries.

Hubs and Rotors are for Sunday project...Unless it rains. I welcome the rain though...we NEED RAIN here.

Thanks again Fellas!!

Cheers!
David D.

Will you get that thing done already.......:hihi:

I "Will sell no wine before it's time" Shit..I think that I will be driving the only 1996 Mason dump truck...that has a front end that is all new...Bill...this project took...day's off my life!!!! LOL!!

Today in fact I noticed..that..I had to replace the Studs that hold the Rotor to the hub...blah...blah..blah..I was like really??????????????????

But you know me...Everything had to be painted...and or New bolts...but..........still......insane.....unreal...Bullshit...this project turned out...Dude...I even replaced the dang Banjo bolts for the calipers.....Sad...But true...

I did think today...so this truck from New Hampshire, and I am a Yankee fan....must have the "Curse"....because the ****ing front end sure did "Kick my ass"

Cheers,
Dave

Back